Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand Rubber Bumper Losses

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Nomadic RAM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Stand Rubber Bumper Losses

Anyone have a trick for securing the rubber bumper to the jiffy stand? I don't know why or how but I keep losing the rubber bumper off my bike's jiffy stand. I lost several bumpers off my '03 Road King in 50,000 miles of riding and now I'm losing them off my '05 Ultra. I've tried to secure the bumper to the jiffy stand with gorilla glue or silicone caulk but neither held for very long. I've lost so many bumpers that I put a bead of black silicone caulk on the frame against which the jiffy stand rests when its retracted just so I don't have to listen to it clunk. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:17 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Jiffy Stand Rubber Bumper Losses

After attaching the bumper, speak to it in a calm but firm voice and maybe it will stay on[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 PM
mcb
Tourer

Silicone Caulk will not work (silicone slippery) Gorilla Glue is great for stationary items. Try a 2 part epoxy from an auto store,or some instant gasket sealer> there is an instant gasket that comes in a can and it is really good for items like this. Hope it works for you.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nomadic RAM

Anyone have a trick for securing the rubber bumper to the jiffy stand? I don't know why or how but I keep losing the rubber bumper off my bike's jiffy stand. I lost several bumpers off my '03 Road King in 50,000 miles of riding and now I'm losing them off my '05 Ultra. I've tried to secure the bumper to the jiffy stand with gorilla glue or silicone caulk but neither held for very long. I've lost so many bumpers that I put a bead of black silicone caulk on the frame against which the jiffy stand rests when its retracted just so I don't have to listen to it clunk. Any help would be much appreciated.
Not sure what type of silicone caulk you're using, but I use clearsilicone seal not window caulking. The chrome in the area the rubber goes needs a little roughing up then clean it good with alcohol (not a beer or mixed drink either ) clean the inside of the rubber with alcohol, let dry. Fill the rubber with the silicone and push it on, remove any excess that squeezes out.

Put tape around the rubber backto thestandto hold it fully seated on the tab,as sometimes the rubber willpush out as the silicone starts to expand.

Hope that helps some, as it works for me.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

3M weatherstrip adhesive like they use to stick bump guards on cars with, you know the rubber strips down the side that keep some azzwipe from dinging your doors. It's yellow and sticky as hell. Follow the instructions to the letter and make sure it's where you want it. End of problem.

Bubba

Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

8001 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Sometimes called gorilla snot. Yellow adhesive. Grat stuff for gasket sealer too.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Possibly Part No. 50059-85A "Jiffy Stand Bumper" would fit your frame rail? It snaps on the frame and is used with some models to snub the jiffy stand in another way. Less than $10. if it works... a good parts guy can tell you if it fits your bikes.
ORIGINAL: Nomadic RAM

Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Nomadic RAM
Intermediate

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try the 8001 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Anything called gorilla snot is worth a shot.

ORIGINAL: Grover

8001 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Sometimes called gorilla snot. Yellow adhesive. Grat stuff for gasket sealer too.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Use the frame rail bumper as described by Big Sled. End of problem.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:49 PM
kokoloko
Stage III
Default Sheet metal screw

Originally Posted by Nomadic RAM

You make a hole of 11/64 ”and place a sheet metal screw with washer and problem solved forever