Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil temp guage

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
jacsul
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil temp guage

Does someone make an oil temp guage set-up to replace the useless air temp guage on my 09 SG? And would an oil cooler make much difference aside from a tuner to fatten up the mix, if so whats recommended?

Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Sethjamto
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Harley has them that matched your stock gauges exactly. I replaced my stupid air temp gauge with one.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jacsul
Does someone make an oil temp guage set-up to replace the useless air temp guage on my 09 SG? And would an oil cooler make much difference aside from a tuner to fatten up the mix, if so whats recommended?
HD makes one to match the other gauges and now I see another company who has a small write up in the newest American Bagger Magazine is making one that includes everything you need. Not near the magazine right now, so I can't give you the company name or website.

The HD one does not include the adapter for the oil pan, the other one does from what the picture shows.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE

The HD one does not include the adapter for the oil pan, the other one does from what the picture shows.

Update.....I just bought an oil gauge kit from LSHD, part number 70900176 for $112. It includes everything you need...including the oil pan adapter.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Update.....I just bought an oil gauge kit from LSHD, part number 70900176 for $112. It includes everything you need...including the oil pan adapter.
How long did you have to wait for your gauge from LSHD? I've had one on back order from Surdyke for 6 weeks and starting to get a little pissed.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Must be something new. When I bought mine back in 2009, the adapter was not included.

Also, here's the web site for the other gauge.......www.Parts4PowerToys.com

Cheaper then the HD one and the gauge looks like it's easier to read.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

HD's gauge is easiest & can get on sale for ~$100...about 30-min install & don't have to drain oil. Sensor plugs into lower crank inspection hole (need good break wrench to loosen) & red locktite for seal. Only added guidance to make install easier is connect wires through gauge fairing hole "before" mounting...those little wires/screws are a beotch to get on, if you follow HD's crap instructions.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Must be something new. When I bought mine back in 2009, the adapter was not included.

Also, here's the web site for the other gauge.......www.Parts4PowerToys.com

Cheaper then the HD one and the gauge looks like it's easier to read.
That's a nice looking set up. Anybody here bought one?
Is it necessary to run the wire from the sending unit under the tank?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get the HD Oil Temp Gauge. I had a gauge on my 2005 Ultra similair to the Parts4Power and when I finally decided to change over to Dakota Digital Gauges I couldn't get the brass ring out of the oil pan.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered mine from LSHD a few months ago, took not quite two weeks to come in. It's a fairly easy install, but the wiring can be a little confusing. Well, if you're not paying attention.. Once I had it all in, done, and working, I realized I was just being a dope - you have to ground both the power and the sensor to the gauge. My opinion these should come stock. The air temp gauge is useless.

Quick Reply: oil temp guage