Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain gear for the emergency user

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rain gear for the emergency user

I know a lot of you swear by the HD Hi-Viz suit. It's awful pricey for something that I don't want to need. I don't do much long distance travelling per se, mostly just joy riding type stuff. I don't go out riding in rain storms on purpose, but I do get caught in it more often than I like. I would like something that packs small to keep in my saddlebag all the time. I've read a lot of negative about Frogg Toggs so I don't think that is the way I want to go. Something effective, comfortable, hi viz seems like a good idea, as do heat shields on the legs. Just can't justify 185 bucks for the HD suit. Seems like there are a lot of options, but I'm having a hard time finding stuff with heat shields in the legs. Any suggestions? And yes, I searched.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a nelson rigg rain suit... im good to go

Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I know you are thinking just emergency times,but here are some things to consider when buying. I prefer gore-tex because it breathes, but it is expensive. If the suit doesn't breathe, on a warm, damp day you would probably feel better jsut getting wet. Heat shields! Not a must of course, if you're careful ,but sooner or later you'll have a hole in your suit and a mess on your pipes. The final deal breaker for me after almost 40 years of rainsuits, gotta have full length leg zippers. I used to struggle to get my boots through the legs, standing on the side of the road in the rain. Then I learned about carrying a plastic grocery or garbage bag to put over my boot to make it slide through easier. Finally, with my HD Gore-Tex, I learned abotu full length zippers. Step into the waist, pull 'em up, zip 'em up and back on the road ...............

Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

1. Make patches from an ironing board cover (the silver one) and sew patches to the inside of the legs.
2. Keep your legs off the pipes.
3. Nevr Dull will remove melted plastic from hot pipes.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorcycle Consumer News (the Consumer Reports for the motorcycle industry.....they don't take advertising from anybody so they're beholding to no one!) tested a load of rain suits awhile back (using a small fire hose). Surprisingly, the best suit was also one of the cheaper suits.....the Tour Master Elite II Two Piece Suit.

Interestingly, I've owned this suit for years and have never had an issue of any kind with it......very well thought out! My first impulse was to get the black one however, I passed on the "look good" for the safety factor of "being seen when it's raining!"......so I went with red. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the yellow suit.....just cuz I have a bit more wisdom now than I did ten years ago. Click on this link.....

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...et-p-84_8.html

Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Simple, buy the HD one slightly used off of ebay. I got mine in the ever popular size large for $100. Not gore-tex but its very very nice. Just keep your eye's peeled.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Open Road
Motorcycle Consumer News (the Consumer Reports for the motorcycle industry.....they don't take advertising from anybody so they're beholding to no one!) tested a load of rain suits awhile back (using a small fire hose). Surprisingly, the best suit was also one of the cheaper suits.....the Tour Master Elite II Two Piece Suit.

Interestingly, I've owned this suit for years and have never had an issue of any kind with it......very well thought out! My first impulse was to get the black one however, I passed on the "look good" for the safety factor of "being seen when it's raining!"......so I went with red. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the yellow suit.....just cuz I have a bit more wisdom now than I did ten years ago. Click on this link.....

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...et-p-84_8.html
TourMaster is another good option, ask any long distance Beemer rider ......

Old 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM
skully1200
Road Master

Both the Nelson Rigg and Tourmaster stuff seem like they might be decent affordable options. Anyone else have feedback on these or other brands. I think I'm gonna go to my local BMW dealer and see what they have. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Skully
I too, couldn't justify the large price for HD rainsuit. I carried one of those Marboro rainsuits folded up for a "incase" moment. Well finally needed it for a downpour and what a nightmare.
Beat the chit out of me.
I finally found a HD OverPass rainsuit in harleys clearance rack at my local dealer for 100.00
Best $$ spent

Matter of fact, there where 2 rainsuits at my local dealers clearance rack this morning. Only trouble is, they were 3X :O

Good luck in your search

Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
parachuter
Cruiser

J&P Cycles sells a Harley look alike knock off. I saw them when I was at Daytona Bike Week a few weeks ago. I was there the first Saturday when it was raining. People were buying them like hot cakes. I personally use a Frogg Togg knock off that Sams Wholesale sold a few years ago. My right leg pants melted on the exhaust the first time I used them. I just roll them up now and let the leg get wet. Beats cleaning the exhaust pipe LOL.

Quick Reply: Rain gear for the emergency user