Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who guts Cat. Converters in northern Indiana area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Who guts Cat. Converters in northern Indiana area?

Wondering if anyone knows what cycle shops or weld shops will remove my Catalytic Converter in the northern Indiana area or southern Michigan area? I want the cat. removed, but want to keep stock header.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 AM
mprracecars
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my 2012 Limited and I can tell you first hand; there is no performance improvement, no increase in fuel mileage and a slight change in sound (a pinch louder when on the throttle) and no real change in sound at idle. The biggest change is the heat on the right side, the heat everyone including myself have issues with. The heat issue is all but gone with a 75% reduction in the heat you feel on your leg. It is remarkable better almost amazingly different!
I did however have the stock head pipe ceramic thermal barrier coated inside and out before installing back on my bike. I have no scientific way to prove all of the heat reduction is from the removal of the cat because I had the pipe coated. I personally would do the cat removal and coat the pipe if you want to net the maximum heat reduction for comfort and to protect your investment on the de-catted pipe. Thermal barrier coating looks great and does keep the pipe from rust and/or corrosion in the future.
If you can't find anyone to do the de-cat job I would do it for $125 but I think it would be a mistake not to have it coated as well. I use a place called QC Coatings http://www.qccoatings.com/pc.php as they do a fantastic job on powder coating a thermal barrier coating and wouldn't do the pipe unless it got coated. I don't normally do motorcycle work but I saw no one responded to your post. I run a race car chassis construction shop in MI and TIG weld and do metal fabricating all day. I'm not looking for the work (we are really busy) but if you can't find anyone and want it done real nicely then let me know. Email me if you like. http://www.mprracecars.com/

Mike

Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike,

Thank you very much for the detailed write-up on cat. removal and the offer to remove the cat. At this point, I'm gathering information in an effort to determine whether I change head pipes, remove the cat. or maybe just leave it stock with slip-ons. Your information is very valuable - thanks again. I have your web info if I decide to take you up on your generous offer.

John

Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

MPRRACECARS hit it right on the head with all the things he pointed out. Removing the CC is one of the best things you can do for your bike and yourself.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
roadglide sy
Cruiser

I agree with the other guy's about the only reason to remove the cat is for heat reduction. I just did mine last week ,been thinking about it for awhile and I knew there would be no gains in performance . It is louder but not terrible I have the nightstick on mine also. I really liked the sound before just have to get used to it now 2010 Rg . I went to see American Custom exhaust in Daytona and was going to have them do it but they didn't bring enough 2-1 headpipes ,but I saved $150. by doing it myself (cost $50 to get welded) thanks Jim

Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
441amx
Intermediate

If you look in the outlet end of the mufflers there should only be a little baffle about 4 inches in length in there and will look like a plus sign, if that's the case a 1 1/2 inch hole saw will take that out. Combine that with CAT removed and you will get a nice sound

Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking there was a guy out of kokomo doing them on ebay. But I cant seem to find the info, this was a couple months ago. I think he was doing them exchange.

Might of found it. Dont list city tho, and this link is a past auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150776308057#ht_500wt_1182

Last edited by Nightrain04; 04-01-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i de-catted too and have the V&H Monster Rounds Slips, not loud, just a deep rumble tone...

Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser

james burkhart

Last edited by blockzilla; 04-01-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Theres a guy in Indiana named James Burkhart his email address is jbb1982@yahoo.com He was doing them on Ebay. Did two for me about 1 1/2 years ago. Really good at it. First class job! Cheaper than most other's too.

Quick Reply: Who guts Cat. Converters in northern Indiana area?