Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Lever and Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012 | 07:54 AM
Rainman64
|
6th Gear
Default Clutch Lever and Switch

Hi,
I purchased a used 2007 Ultra Classic a few months back and have a question of the group. The bike would not start in gear, even with the clutch lever pulled in. I started looking into it, as the previous Harley's I've owned would start in gear. My 2000 Fatboy will start in gear even with the clutch engaged. I found that the 07 has a clutch switch to prevent starting in gear with the clutch engaged, so off to the dealer I go to purchase one. When I get home and remove the clutch lever I find the switch is there, but not being pressed when the lever is pulled. I guess I should inform all that the original controls had been replaced by chrome ones and the chrome lever has no means to press the switch. I guess the previous owner did not care that is would not start in gear with clutch pulled, I do. My question is this normal with chrome controls, or can I purchase a chrome lever with the correct geometry that will press the clutch switch when I pull the clutch. I thought of trying to glue a piece of hard rubber to the lever. Any ideas and sorry for the long post.

Old 03-29-2012 | 08:05 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rainman64
Hi,
I purchased a used 2007 Ultra Classic a few months back and have a question of the group. The bike would not start in gear, even with the clutch lever pulled in. I started looking into it, as the previous Harley's I've owned would start in gear. My 2000 Fatboy will start in gear even with the clutch engaged. I found that the 07 has a clutch switch to prevent starting in gear with the clutch engaged, so off to the dealer I go to purchase one. When I get home and remove the clutch lever I find the switch is there, but not being pressed when the lever is pulled. I guess I should inform all that the original controls had been replaced by chrome ones and the chrome lever has no means to press the switch. I guess the previous owner did not care that is would not start in gear with clutch pulled, I do. My question is this normal with chrome controls, or can I purchase a chrome lever with the correct geometry that will press the clutch switch when I pull the clutch. I thought of trying to glue a piece of hard rubber to the lever. Any ideas and sorry for the long post.
I was In the same boat. I bought aftermarket levers but they did not have the bump for the clutch. I got some JB weld putty and formed one up on my lever. Been good for the last 34,000. Some of the more high end levers have the bump.

Old 03-29-2012 | 12:10 PM
Rainman64
|
6th Gear

Took your advice and got some J&B Weld putty. Works great and I drilled a few pilot holes in the lever to give it more stability. Thanks

Old 03-29-2012 | 12:14 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rainman64
Took your advice and got some J&B Weld putty. Works great and I drilled a few pilot holes in the lever to give it more stability. Thanks
I did the same. Drilled one 1/4 hole and put a roll pin for something for the JB to be supported by. Good for you.

Old 03-29-2012 | 12:20 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

With the help of a wiring diagram, you can identify the clutch interlock wires and jump them; i.e. you simply connect the wires in the circuit directly rather than using the switch.

Carl

Old 03-29-2012 | 12:28 PM
Rainman64
|
6th Gear

I think that would allow it to crank with clutch engaged and I was trying to stay away from that. I've had the Fatboy crank and start to leave before I was ready.

Old 03-29-2012 | 02:20 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master

That switch will also disengage your cruise control when you pull in the lever. Best not to bypass it.

Old 03-29-2012 | 02:23 PM
mglax13
Road Master

I thought I broke something in the switch as well when I installed my new levers and bars, but this seems to make perfect sense now that I look at the lever. Time for some JB welding!

Old 03-29-2012 | 02:31 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

Good idea. Ive just been making sure to put the bike in neutral to start. It's not too inconvienent but maybe I'll look into the JB Weld.

Old 03-29-2012 | 03:19 PM
Rainman64
|
6th Gear

Nothing like being stuck in third gear, motor stopped and cars coming at you from every direction. That is what finally made me figure out why mine would not start in gear. Life is good!

Quick Reply: Clutch Lever and Switch