Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

touring in the U.S

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012 | 11:36 AM
AladinSane
Cruiser

Konichiwa,
I have not used this service but here are a few popular all inclusive tours
http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-tours.aspx
http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont...cle-tours.html

Old 03-29-2012 | 11:53 AM
Rickl
Road Captain

As you can tell you will get a 1000 different opinions. I would suggest studying up on where and what you would like to see. With only 1 week you need to prioritize your time. The east coast is far more populous which translates into more traffic, although the sites are more condensed. What would take you a couple of days to see in the east, you'll spend 2 days just driving to see in the west. If you want the rugged mountains, then aim for the west. I myself am partial to the west, but you can't go wrong heading to Deals Gap and the Blue Ridges. Study, prioritize, and then ask again once you decide what you reallywould want to see. As a side note I agree with many of the responses, 1 week is way too little time and will leave you with blurred results.

Old 03-29-2012 | 12:09 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor

If you are a HOG member, they do a good job at helping out with rentals & bike tours.

I recommend....
Fly to San Francisco
Rent from Dudley-Perkins in San Francisco & then head to.....
Hwy 120 to Yosemite Nat'l Park thru the park to
Hwy 395 N to Lake Tahoe
Hwy 50 to Placerville then Hwy 49 to Auburn - Calif Gold Country
I-80 to Napa Valley (Wine Country)
Hwy 121 from Napa to Hwy 101
Hwy 101 to the Redwoods
Cross over to Pacific Coast Hwy
Note: Hwy 20 from Willits to Ft Bragg is very curvey
Head South on Pacific Coast Hwy
Back to San Francisco

City, Mountains, 9000ft passes, Wine Country, Valley, Big Trees, lots of curves & the Pacific Coast in No Calif

Ive ridden all of these roads & still go back to ride them again.

Easy to burn 7 days on this trip

There are so many routes & trips you can do just in Calif it boggles the mind. But, anywhere on the US west coast is a grerat trip

Old 03-29-2012 | 12:27 PM
norseman bagger
Cruiser

One more bit of advice. If you fly into Denver, check out Mt. Evans Summit. It is the highest elevation paved road in north america at over 14,000 feet, and it has some beautiful scenery. It's just west of Denver in the Rocky Mountains. Let us know what you decide!

edit: A couple of other good areas to check out would be Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

Last edited by norseman bagger; 03-29-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2012 | 12:41 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

For a week Calif. has about all the climates/views. Ya could fly into LA Head north on 1 (PCH = coast) to San Francisco, up river on 160, 50 to Lake Tahoe (beautiful ride around the lake), back over 4 (stop and see the redwoods) to 49 (Sonora is a nice gold country stop), south to 120 through Yosemite (rent a room at the lodge), down 395 through Death Valley (lowest spot in US with a view of the highest, Whitney) to Vegas (see the lights) and back to LA. Do not try this in winter.
The Black Hills and Yellowstone are spectacular but there is really nowhere great to fly into and rent a ride?
Southern Utah/northern Arizona is also spectacular if ya like desert rocks.
While there is some great riding on the east coast the views are not as spectacular as out west.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 03-29-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2012 | 01:06 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by covenjp
I will only have about one week and I want to hit the roads that you guys think are the best,no city stuff Im thinking lakes, mountain countryside.
Originally Posted by mllgator
You should contact Mile High Harley in Denver. They are very close to the airport, have storage for your luggage on site, are next door to a new hotel, & have an excellent selection of bikes.
........ Here's another vote for flying into Denver.
.... within an hour of picking up your rental you can be in the high country or out on the high plains. Scenic 2 lane roads thru friendly small towns & widely varied, utterly spectacular scenery.
......... but then, i am biased. ...

Old 03-29-2012 | 01:09 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by norseman bagger
One more bit of advice. If you fly into Denver, check out Mt. Evans Summit. It is the highest elevation paved road in north america at over 14,000 feet, and it has some beautiful scenery.
....... If you do Evans, start early in the morning, you don't want to be up here on a bike in the afternoon if the T.storms & lightning roll in.

Old 03-29-2012 | 01:16 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

私はあなたの休暇を楽しみ、安全に乗ることを望む。

Old 03-29-2012 | 02:30 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain

I'm doing something similar this summer with some mates. We're flying into Vegas where Eaglerider will have bikes ready for us - we're aiming to do Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest and towards Colorado before heading north to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons - but we have 17 days.

Having not done this yet I can't make recommendations but Eaglerider did make the booking process easy and they can offer insurance, GPS, hotel transfers etc just to make things easier.

Old 03-29-2012 | 02:32 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by groupw
........ Here's another vote for flying into Denver.
.... within an hour of picking up your rental you can be in the high country or out on the high plains. Scenic 2 lane roads thru friendly small towns & widely varied, utterly spectacular scenery.
......... but then, i am biased. ...
Your bias is well founded, we had a totally awesome time

Quick Reply: touring in the U.S