Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ohlins and Progressive monotubes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
streetclyde
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ohlins and Progressive monotubes.

I first received the Progressive monotubes so they were installed about 2 weeks before the the Ohlins 3-3 from motorcyclemetal.com arrived. Which Im glad they did because I got to see just how bad the front suspension on these Harleys really are. By they way this is on my 2010 FLHX. My bike has a Headquarters 107 and is a great for hot rodding around town which means hard acceleration followed by heavy braking. I like most folks have become accustomed to the front end diving and I think without really noticing that we automatically ease on the brake just a little before really clamping down to slow down or stop.By doing this it minimizes the dive of the front forks some what.If you really clamp down fast to avoid a vehicle you may find the rear end coming around to side making for some cat like maneuvers to stay up right. Im guilty of some these saves and Im sure you may have experience with this as well.Anyway I had a pickup stop in the middle of the highway directly in front of me as i was looking over my shoulder entering the highway. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid getting into the rear of the truck. My first thought was here we go again another out of control stop to avoid this guy. But it never came the bike stopped without the rear tire coming loose. The front end did not dive enough to launch the rear tire around to the side. Not saying it wont happen but it didnt when I knew it was. Impressive!!! The other thing that was immediately noticed was coming up to a light and doing a normal stop.The bike did not throw my weight forward then back,throwing me off balance.Ok a small detail but something I noticed.
Two weeks later I received my Ohlins from howard. We installed them per Howard and went for a ride. Wow very impressive as I cant help myself fron riding over manhole covers,rumble bars and train crossings. My bike now soaks up the very bumps that weeks earlier jammed my back.I have a bulged disk in my lower back (L5) that is very sensitive to bumps or jolts. we have a lot of old highways that intersect with Railroad crossing that we slow down to 25-30 mph from 65 to cross. Not now I hit them at full speed and have yet to find a bump or crossing that the Ohlins or Progressive monotubes wont soak up.The rumors of Howard are real he is a little hard to understand but well worth the time and money!!! This is a must have upgrade to any Harley touring bike. It will the be the first thing i do before motor work on my next bike. Peace out

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats good to hear,pick mine up from the tuner tomorrow.Ohlins and monotube sittin on the work bench ready to go on.Got the 3-3's

Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I run Ohlins 3-3 and Progressive monotubes and it truly transforms the bike

Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM
clbking
Cruiser

I too changed my suspension as a first mod. Hated the brake dive. Handling is important to me. Night and day difference with a good suspension upgrade from stock.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
ten09
Intermediate

went with ohlins too 3-1.the front i have yet to deal with because i was hoping howard would come up with something here. anyhow love the rear shocks