Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad sprocket bearing with 14,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM
mccstevie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad sprocket bearing with 14,000 miles

Recently started hearing a clicking sound coming from sprocket side of rear wheel on my 08 Ultra. I jacked it up and spun the rear wheel and could see it was the sprocket bearing coming apart. There is no side to side play between the wheel and the swingarm. My questions are, is this normal with only 14,000 miles, would it be safe to drive this 10 miles to the dealer and would the replacement cost be covered under my ESP plan? As far as I know the rear wheel has only been off for a tire change at 10,000 miles. The indy that changed it has a good reputation. Could there be a larger problem I should be concerned about.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbor has an 08SG, with 60K on it and has had this happen to him twice.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Cooper08
Advanced

Mine fell apart when I did the first rear tire change on my 08 Ultra. I hadn't noticed any problem but it was shot. I've got over 50k miles now and it hasn't happened since. I know the manual says to torque the rear wheel, back off one full turn, and torque again to properly load the bearing.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mccstevie
Recently started hearing a clicking sound coming from sprocket side of rear wheel on my 08 Ultra. I jacked it up and spun the rear wheel and could see it was the sprocket bearing coming apart. There is no side to side play between the wheel and the swingarm. My questions are, is this normal with only 14,000 miles, would it be safe to drive this 10 miles to the dealer and would the replacement cost be covered under my ESP plan? As far as I know the rear wheel has only been off for a tire change at 10,000 miles. The indy that changed it has a good reputation. Could there be a larger problem I should be concerned about.
I have an '07 with an added IDS (Isolated Drive System or "cush drive"), and my bearing has lasted 4½ years and 42k miles with no issues to date. I do listen every time I roll the bike out of the garage and check it every time the wheel is off. IDS bearings are not unknown to fail, which makes me nervous, as that could disable you in the middle of nowhere if the bearing failed completely. I do think the main reason they fail is poor installation with '07 retrofits, but you'd think '08s that are installed from the factory would not often suffer from this syndrome.

Replacing the bearing periodically is something I've thought about, but I tend to lean toward the "if it ain't broke..." philosophy. Who knows, maybe these bearings can last indefinitely like a wheel bearing and if you have a good one it won't cause any trouble. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
mdtpr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went on 6000 mile cross country journey and needed a new rear tire along the way. Stopped at dealer to put it on and found out bearing was going bad at 28,000 miles....just the one side of the bearing was bad. They didn't have one in stock so we packed it full of grease and drove 1600 miles home with no issues. Whew!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Rogue8Man (11-14-2020)
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM
mr_gdr
Cruiser

my friend's and my bike(2008 and 2009) has less than 10,000 miles he had to replace his rear wheel bearing and today I had a vibration in my motorcycle, I put it up on the jack,,, and guess what I found out....My rear wheel bearing is shot..it is not right!! Harley has been doing some thing wrong to the bikes ether buying cheap bearings or some thing. my old 2000 went for 50,000 and when I sold it the bearing in it came with it. as I read some of this it seems that when you replace them they last longer...so that leads me to be leave the stock ones are crap.. I will replace mine, but I will go to a bearing shop and get the best they have..."NO HARLEY ONES"

Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

My 08 IDS bearing was toast at 30k. Caught it on a rear tire change so no damage done. I look very closely at all the bearing dust seals now every oil change and always double check them on tire changes.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mccstevie

Thanks for any info you can share.

Below is the link for the ESP pdf. Roller bearings are covered under suspension. Its your call if you wanna ride it to the dealer or not, not my bike. While they are in there, might as well complain about everything that you think its doing so they will check it over good, who knows maybe they might find something else that will be covered for the 50 bucks,lol. Good luck man. Stay safe.

http://www.psndealer.com/dealersite/...spbrochure.pdf

Old 11-13-2020, 12:03 PM
rockett88s
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

With sealed bearings I change mine every other tire change... I've been using Harley bearings recently... the last two pairs (All *****) I've ordered from JP had no markings or stamped parts numbers on them... which is a sign of Chinese manufacturers... You pay your money and take your chances... The set I'm installing this afternoon came from Harley, cost half again as much, but they have parts numbers and a made in Brazil stamping... ?? I'd love to know a good American-made bearing manufacturer...

I'm not the most tech savvy guy but I'll try to get a pic or two posted...

Old 11-13-2020, 01:26 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Are you aware you replied to an 8 yr old thread?

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (11-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Bad sprocket bearing with 14,000 miles