Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from an Ultra to a Road King...uh, what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Tak-0-meter?????

Old 09-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Another Road Kink with lower fairing for you to see.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 PM
oly18
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road king

I had a 2008 ultra classic I really liked that bike,rode half the USA with it,test rode a 2011 road glide and fell in love with it for 4000 miles,I grew to hate that bike Id never own another,every trip was a drudgery,the fairing on it blows the wind like a hurricane right into your head with a small windscreen and buffets so bad with a big one,sold it and got a 2012 road king,I finally found the bike that felt right,every time I go on a trip im sad the trip is over,the world feels wide open on it,I hate a fairing especially the lower ones,its the first thing I always took off,I can take the wind screen off the road king,its like a fat boy with hard bags only it rides so much nicer,I love the wind,but on a long trip the wind screen is nice and it cuts the wind better than a fairing

Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Shayba
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love my King and not a big fan of the batwing, but missed my music. Fixed that problem!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I love my king. Has the lowers and saddlebag speakers. Just ordered a quick detach fairing. Now I can have all the qualities of a tourer but can easily be stripped for around town. As far as the lowers go, I don't experience any additional heat from them so I leave them on year around. Only thing that may get me off this king anytime soon is if the new road glide is bad ***.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
bigslick1960
Intermediate

I did the exact thing you are thinking about 2 months ago. Traded my 11 Ultra for a 14 RK, I have no regrets at all. I miss the tour pack a little bit, but not too much, since the bags on the 14's are so easy to open. I ride mostly solo, so I have plenty of storage. The RK windshield does a good job of wind blocking, the main difference is your hands will be exposed unlike with a fairing. I added the curved HD fork deflectors, and am currently running the HD soft lowers for the cooler months. Both of these items help a lot with wind protection. One nice advantage of the RK is the lighter front end. My 14 handles extremely well, and is a joy to ride. This past Saturday I rode about 295 miles, and many of those miles were at 70 - 75 mph with no problem at all. I was always drawn to the classic look of the RK, and always wanted to own one, and since my wife can't ride with me anymore because of health issues, I decided to go ahead and make the switch. Loving every minute of it so far.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Well. all you pro RK fans won out. I was close to a rg custom but i can try that one next time. I went with a RK in big blue pearl with cruise. They'll be adding the tach/speedo some of you posters mentioned. I also got a boom speaker system. I'm VERY happy with the deal although I think a couple of more bucks for mine would have been better but awwwww well. now, over to the softail handlebar threads. again, thanks fellas.
Good for you! It's been over a year since you did the switch. Howabout an update now that you've got some serious seat time on your RK?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:28 PM
tzgomezjr
Advanced

Sorry guys. I'm with shortride. I went from a 04 Wide Glide bad *** to a sweet deal 08 Anniversary Street Glide with 40k on the clock. This bike has everything you can think of. 16" apes, braided cables, J&M speaker and 250 amp upgrade, cruise, fog lights, painted inner fairing, new Meztlers, French Rings all around, T Bags, new brakes, Stream liner all around, Performance Machine hand grips, I'm the second owner and I have all reciepts. I'm getting ready to sell it for a Road King.
The SG is nice but just not my cup of tea. It's slow, heavy, cumpersome, uses more throttle to get it off the line. I think the Road King is just more my style.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my RK below that I have turned into an "Ultra".

Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

traded my 2012 limited for a 2014 road king. the road king just responds better to me.

Quick Reply: Going from an Ultra to a Road King...uh, what?