Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from an Ultra to a Road King...uh, what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You will look much cooler on a Road King..... Just saying.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Go rent a Road King for a weekend, and put a few hundred miles on it to see if you like it.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was tempted by a Road Glide and Electra Classic I found, but I just couldn't bring myself to be left without the option of riding w/o a windsheild or fairing when I want.
The Road King offers the most flexibility in the touring line-up. Add a batwing, add a tour pack, add lowers or strip it all off in minutes. That said, if I had a EGC, I would get the removable trunk kit so I could remove that ugly box except for long trips, and ride the wheels off it.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I went from the Ultra Limited to get away from these things, the stereo sucked, I hated the fairing and the lowers made the ride a lot hotter. Definitely personal choice, but I'm happy with what I did.
I'm glad for you.

Originally Posted by HeHateMe
You will look much cooler on a Road King..... Just saying.
That's probably what it is.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Didn't go from an Ultra to a King but when the shield is on I don't have buffeting problems at highway speeds.
I have the bar mounted Boom speakers and with the windshield on I have ran up to 80 and could still hear my music fine. Without the shield depending on the wind, 65 is about the max before the speakers start losing clarity.
I've used the HD fabric lowers and they work alright for the cold but real good in the rain, that is my biggest complaint bout taking my crash bars off.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did exactly that. 2011 Limited for an 08 Roadking. No regrets....

Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
You talkvabout simplicity, then talk about lowers and music, etc. Keep your Ultra, put a detachable mount on for the tour pak, and a shorty windshield for the fairing. Then you can convert it when ever you want to, to a Street Glide Ultra.
I think it was obvious, I was speaking of the simplicity of the bike in general. meaning no fairing. I already have a detachable mount for the tourpak. What I don't have is an unfaired bike and that's where the dilemma lies. No decision has been made and won't be until well into the riding season. An ultra is a lot to give up.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

thanks for all the replys and pictures. keep them coming. some awesome looking bikes for sure. like a few of you mentioned, maybe it's a good idea to rent a RK for the day or try to finagle a demo ride. I guess that's the only way to know for sure.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

Originally Posted by fzggm4
I went from an Ultra to a Road King last year for the exact same reason. I found the bulk of our riding more around town and country twisties. I love my RK for our kind of riding. If we did a lot of long highway riding I would have stuck with the Ultra. Just my preference, everybody's different.
I find little to no buffeting with the windshield. I did not like the handlebars (you will see a lot of complaints about them on the forum) and now have Wild One Chubby 10" mini apes on it and they are just right for me.
I purchased a Boom windshield mounted stereo that I haven't installed yet. I saw a lot of good comments about them on the forum vs the handlebar mounted version. I am waiting for some cables that I ordered for it. I am using the Boom pouch to mount the Iphone on the tank. I ordered some cables online that will plug into the Iphone then split into a AUX cable to the stereo and then goes to another cable from the battery tender harness that has a charger built into it. That way you can listen and charge at the same time. I will be posting a thread when I do that.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
do you have a picture of the mini apes and a rough idea of what they cost?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 AM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default re: Ultra to Road King

I believe I paid $200.00 for the bars online. I purchased a NAMZ wire extension kit for $40.00 to route the wires inside the bars. I also purchased a +6 clutch cable for $65.00 although if you reroute the cable you may not need it, I didn't reroute and broke mine the 1st time out. The brake lines are fine. I attached some crummy pics off my Iphone.

Attached Thumbnails Going from an Ultra to a Road King...uh, what?-get-attachment1.jpg   Going from an Ultra to a Road King...uh, what?-get-attachment2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Going from an Ultra to a Road King...uh, what?