Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fork Upgrade Suggestions

Ok, so I am getting new shocks soon! However, IMHO the fork internals arn't worth a "Rats A$$" either. What are people here doing to upgrade their forks - I know from reading many posts that the Progressive Mono-tubes are popular. Are there any other viable choices. Race Tech seems to have some applications and I could go to Traxxion Dynamics, which is close to me in ATL, and drop some serious coin to get it really fixed up. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM
barkingspud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the HD Premium Touring Suspension Cartridge fork upgrade along with the rear adjustables on my 09' FLHTCU. Incredible difference in ride and handling.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If I lived that close to traxxion I would probably have their fork upgrade already. The cost also has me hesitating but I like to blame the distance, it sounds better than me just being a cheap-o.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
2d3k2h
Cruiser
Default forks

I will be doing the traxxion fronts as well as rear Biturbos when funds allow.Last time I checked was about 2500 for the set.I need a better job...........

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to do something - the stock suspension takes some of the fun out of riding.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
wkl2546
Advanced

I second what BARKINGSPUD said. I also installed the HD Premium Double-Cartridge front end kit and, I am very pleased. Rides better than before and definitely absorbs more of those little bumps and irregularities in the road...

Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Re Valve at Race Tech, and good fork oil of the correct weight and or blend may make
a good upgrade. Just changing the fork oil with something like Bel Ray multi weight oil
will make stock forks work better. Ride safe, and keep the rubber side down. <-!->

Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 477 Likes on 125 Posts

I did Progressive monotubes and Ohlins and am very happy , the monotubes are a good bang for the buck

Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I only have experience with the stock suspension, Ricor Intiminators and the Harley dual cartridge system.

Obviously stock isn't great even though the bike has emulators in it. The Intiminators definitely were an improvement, particularly with brake dive and front end action under braking.

The dual cartridge setup has almost as bad brake dive as stock, but the ride is pretty good.

In the rear I've run Ricors, 12" stock and 13" stock air shocks and HD Premium Ride 13" adjustables. The best ride (solo) was definitely the Ricor shocks. It was weird, even, knowing that your wheel was absorbing all the imperfections and transmitting nothing to the chassis. Pretty cool. Loaded down though, they weren't great. Not a fault of the shock or spring, it's just that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Spring it for two-up or solo, but you can't have both...

The HD Premium ride shocks are almost as good as the Ricors solo. Haven't tried two-up yet.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Another option is Ricor Intiminators, modified and set up properly, they perform fantastic. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html follow the recipe and I'm confident you wont be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Fork Upgrade Suggestions