Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 477 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
I only have experience with the stock suspension, Ricor Intiminators and the Harley dual cartridge system.

Obviously stock isn't great even though the bike has emulators in it. The Intiminators definitely were an improvement, particularly with brake dive and front end action under braking.

The dual cartridge setup has almost as bad brake dive as stock, but the ride is pretty good.

In the rear I've run Ricors, 12" stock and 13" stock air shocks and HD Premium Ride 13" adjustables. The best ride (solo) was definitely the Ricor shocks. It was weird, even, knowing that your wheel was absorbing all the imperfections and transmitting nothing to the chassis. Pretty cool. Loaded down though, they weren't great. Not a fault of the shock or spring, it's just that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Spring it for two-up or solo, but you can't have both...

The HD Premium ride shocks are almost as good as the Ricors solo. Haven't tried two-up yet.
this is why I sold my Ricor Shocks , I coundn't get them to work solo , 2up with backrest & 2up tour pak loaded , the Ohlins work in all 3 situations , hopefully the HD Premium will for you too

Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Another option is Ricor Intiminators, modified and set up properly, they perform fantastic. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html follow the recipe and I'm confident you wont be disappointed.
Are you still selling the modified ones directly?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordyan
Are you still selling the modified ones directly?
I'm not technically selling them, it's more of a reimbursement to cover the original cost that I put up to get the valves from Ricor. I started doing this for everyone's convenience, shipping direct from me saves you some time and money in S&H, and saves me some time in the long run by being able to prepare several sets at one time. I'm still not charging anyone for the mod and set up service.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I'm not technically selling them, it's more of a reimbursement to cover the original cost that I put up to get the valves from Ricor. I started doing this for everyone's convenience, shipping direct from me saves you some time and money in S&H, and saves me some time in the long run by being able to prepare several sets at one time. I'm still not charging anyone for the mod and set up service.
still unsure which way I want to go, monotubes or intimidators and springs. Have you had the monotubes? If you can PM me the price, I believe they are 179.00 right now. That would be awesome. I have a set of ohlin 3-3's waiting to be put on. So I know after that, I'm going to want to do something with the front. I think Howard's front when complete is going to be out of my price range. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qtrracer
If I lived that close to traxxion I would probably have their fork upgrade already. The cost also has me hesitating but I like to blame the distance, it sounds better than me just being a cheap-o.
Were you considering the full blown AK-20 upgrade or the damper rod upgrade that Traxxion does? The first is about $1,200 or so and the latter is $450. I am interested in both but the cheaper mod may be what I could best afford. Those guys are about 25 minutes from my house.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ga4boats
Were you considering the full blown AK-20 upgrade or the damper rod upgrade that Traxxion does? The first is about $1,200 or so and the latter is $450. I am interested in both but the cheaper mod may be what I could best afford. Those guys are about 25 minutes from my house.
I was considering the 1200 dollar set up as if I was gonna just do the damper rod upgrade Race Tech is local to me and the price is about the same, and I would go directly there if going that route. And there is no chance of me spending 2500 for the Ohlins/MotorcycleMetal upgrade, not that it wouldn't be nice but that is out of my comfort zone, by a bunch!!
I am just kinda cheap, heck I went with the cheapest Ohlins less than 500 from Motorcycle Metal because I am just not fond of parting with money. Probably gonna go with the Race Tech when it's time to do a fork oil change.

Last edited by qtrracer; 03-28-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

I know what you are saying. I need to call those folks at Traxxion and see what they have to say.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Just installed a set of Progressive Monotubes and chrome lowers by my HD dealer. The service manager was so impressed with how Tubby handled that he bought a set for his own bagger. Just something to think about and I love the difference. Much less brake dive and more responsive with the bumps. The change over was also very cost effective IMO.