Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamic Tire Balancing - but, not Dyna Beads

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dynamic Tire Balancing - but, not Dyna Beads

Dynamic Tire Balancing - but, not Dyna Beads

I've started a long term review project of a device for dynamic balancing of tires/wheels.

'Centramatic Dynamic Tire/Wheel Balancer' at www.bogiesreviews.webs.com

The concept is similar to the loose beads inserted into the tire/tube - only it's permanently mounted on the wheel in a self contained unit. Less mess and hassle - both when taking the old tires off and when putting the new tires on.

Check out the Part 1 write up for initial reactions and watch for updates posted as more miles are added on.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,493 Likes on 2,678 Posts
Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

This is interesting. I am interested in reading the result of the long term test as I have never heard of this before.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

Just wanted to give a quick update...

The more miles I put on, the more I like how these work. Smoother ride, better cornering - and, while I know it's not the smartest thing to do, I was able to ride for over 4 miles with no hands on the bars; straight as an arrow with not even a minor correction needed. Road snakes, pebbles & cracks deflected the wheel, but it self-corrected almost instantly. I have to presume it's the balancers, because I can tell you that did not happen before having them installed.

I'll be back as I get more accumulated miles to be able to do some tread depth measurements.

Also wanted to post a link for a new demo video Centramatic created that is geared toward the motorcycle rider - give it a look:

http://youtu.be/BWx_k6s8ZhU

Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM
sawbones25
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set on an old Peterbilt I used to drive. They definitely did everything they claimed.

My only question is if they move the rotor out the thickness of the metal, if the caliper lines up correctly...

Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

This was asked on another forum... here's the reply that was posted...

"The thickness is 22 gauge, .027" , yes they (Centramatic) admit the rotor is moved outboard by this amount but say that with stock HD (Nissin) Calipers there isn't any problem nor is there one with the HD Brembos.

Well at .027" I must agree with them although purists (!) might not like the rotor not being centered in the caliper. Easily fixed though."

Not my posting - but the correct info. Nothing I've noticed, even when looking for it...

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel balancing

Could you get them to send a statement that their product Balances the assembly? So far all we have been able to get out of these companies are claims for a smoother ride, etc. None of them have produced a statement that their product balances the tire and wheel assembly. Have you ever wondered why none of the vehicle or tire manufactures endorce these wonder products?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At that price I think I'll try the Dyna beads, about 20x over..

Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

ican-

See attached PDF - I believe this addresses your request...
(Hmmm, not letting me attach - here's a link:
http://bogiesreviews.webs.com/CentramaticTechinfo.pdf)

JBourquin-

Yep - higher cost; offset with less mess, somewhat greater benefits and other intangibles. Matter of personal choice - as are so many things we buy for our rides...

Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

Well - finally got to 15,000 miles and replaced the rear tire... a bit sooner than I had planned, but only about 1000 miles early. Details available in the updated long term review at www.bogiesreviews.webs.com

Someone on another thread mentioned what these were like at speed... at 105 mph, country road in WI; nowhere near a perfect road surface - very smooth, handled great...

FWIW

Quick Reply: Dynamic Tire Balancing - but, not Dyna Beads