Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's now down to a SG or EGC... Handling question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts
Default It's now down to a SG or EGC... Handling question

Okay... I was looking at a Road King, but changed my mind when I realized that of all the baggers I've demo'ed, I like the way the Street Glide handled at low speeds. It never acted its size and I felt comfortable on it. Looks good to.The Electra Glide was sweet ride as well, but not quite as light on its front paw as the SG. I may be answering my own question, but is this because the SG runs a 130/70/18 front? The SG tire runs a lower profile, but overall size should be comparable to the EG, which runs a higher profile 130/80/17. I think the EG wheel may be a bit heavier as well, which adds weight to the front. Also, does the slammed rear-end of the SG add to this feeling of light turn-in?

I ask this because as much as I like the SG, the EG with a detachable tour pak, etc, would be more practical (less expensive) over the long haul if I ever decide I want a full-on touring rig. Not thrilled with the looks of the EG compared to the SG, but again, it may be the more practical purchase. Thoughts?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I would say the biggest reason the SG felt lighter was because the EGC has a tour pak,and the SG doesn't. When you take the tp off,it will feel like a different bike. You would be amazed at the difference in a EGC/UC/FLHTK without a tp.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Topcop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest that you go ahead and buy the EGC. Put a quick detach kit on the tour pak, take the driving lights off and you suddenly have the best of both worlds. I personally like the driving lights. You can never have enough light on a scooter both front and rear. Just my 2 cents worth and your mileage may vary. Happy Trails...

Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

You've put your finger on the slight differences between these models.

The dropped rear of the SG should make the low speed handling a little stiffer and enhance high speed straight line--- maybe.
But cornering clearance is reduced, as it suspension travel by over 30%

The weight of the EGC is a little more with maybe 35# of tourpak swinging around up high

Either of these bikes is capable of handling better than I can ride- lean farther etc.

I have the EGC.

added fairing lowers, SG pass pegs and 2010 RK rear signal bar/plate mount, cut down windscreen ( rotozip on the bottom edge)

with tour pak off and SG shocks, and solo or SG seat in town:

when I tour, it's tour pak on, stock rear shocks ( for floaty Cadillac ride), big seat and taller windscreen

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-27-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Dawgtraxx
Road Captain

You can put the detachable tour pak on the SG also

Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawgtraxx
Yep! You can make either out of the other ....... for me it was the Street Glide, I didn't want all the bumpers, lights and extras, but that is a personal choice .....

Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I think the wheels on the SG look like a mistake. But you could have the dealer put the EGC wheels on the SG if you wanted. The SG has a good look that's for sure. Especially that rear fender. Put the chrome Limited wheels on the SG and I think that would look awesome.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dawgtraxx
True. I looked into adding a chopped tour-pak to the SG. It's cheaper removing it from the EGC.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
You've put your finger on the slight differences between these models.

The dropped rear of the SG should make the low speed handling a little stiffer and enhance high speed straight line--- maybe.
But cornering clearance is reduced, as it suspension travel by over 30%

The weight of the EGC is a little more with maybe 35# of tourpak swinging around up high

Either of these bikes is capable of handling better than I can ride- lean farther etc.

I have the EGC.

added fairing lowers, SG pass pegs and 2010 RK rear signal bar/plate mount, cut down windscreen ( rotozip on the bottom edge)

with tour pak off and SG shocks, and solo or SG seat in town:

when I tour, it's tour pak on, stock rear shocks ( for floaty Cadillac ride), big seat and taller windscreen

Mike
Sweet ride! So, you actually take the time to swap out shocks?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain

Go with the sg. It just looks cooler!

Quick Reply: It's now down to a SG or EGC... Handling question