Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders vs Customizers,,,, Who's who?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Riders vs Customizers,,,, Who's who?

Seems we have the hardcore guys that don't trailer, they put on lots of miles every year crisscrossing the country. These guys customize to make for good traveling, HP for passing trucks, tunes for more enjoyable back road rocking,,,

Then we have the guys turning touring bikes into conversation pieces, adding apes, big a$$ wheels and stuff that makes them really bad for actual traveling.

Which one are you?

(climbing into the fire proof bunker)

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
..... customize to make for good traveling,

Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have touring bike but I have always figured that you get a motorcycle to ride it.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM
FrankC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apes aren't good for traveling? Then I don't know where I fall because I put on apes but ride. I guess I am in the middle

Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With apes and the 21 I can still ride all day without issues. Guess I'm little bit of both

Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Function Trumps Form

I'm all about a practical touring setup. I admire the really cool looking rides, but I traded cool for comfort when I bought Hester. Anywhere I go, from Alaska to Key West to Death Valley, Hester is the usually dirtiest bagger I see. She usually has the most miles too. After my next Alaska trip in 2013, I should have the abusive destinations out of my system. I plan to get a new paint job and make her pretty again. I'll still ride the sh*t out of her, but I'll be one of those guys who arrives with a roll of paper towels, spray cleaner, and a can of lemon Pledge.

Last edited by Shrug; 03-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Why does there have to be a difference. I have apes on my bike for comfort. I have a low slung Mustang seat that looks better than stock and feels better than stock. I have detachables I can slip on the bike for luggage etc and use whitewater rafting bags for clothes storage. Stuff will NOT get wet in them. I've done more than my share of 600 miles days. The other side of the coin is the guys with hardtail bikes or really freaky crap that just says "look at me" and/or would not work on long trips.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Bought my SG for its intended purpose.. look good while touring... daily rider, short weekend trips and my once or twice a year 2000-3000 mile trips across this Great USA!!!

Mods made are for comfort, practicality, and some for looks... I don't knock those that are all show and no go, and like to see them, but prefer the ride that looks good and functions for its intended purpose...

But that's just me... we are individuals... we all have ideas of what our rides should be and I respect that.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Do you really expect someone to say they built it to be a piece eye candy to be trailerd. Right up there with who's a real rider.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know where I land either. I have apes because they are comfortable. I want a bigger front tire because it looks nice. I have pipes because it sounds good. However, I love to ride. I would rather ride than park my bike at a show or event. I customize my bike for me no one else. If some one just happens to like it, great. If they don't, then they should look else where. I customize for me, I ride for me. sorry if I don't fit in a category.... I'm a biker because I don't fit in a category.

Enough of this... Let's ride.

"No Rules, Just Ride".... Florida Crew Motto.

Quick Reply: Riders vs Customizers,,,, Who's who?