Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders vs Customizers,,,, Who's who?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM
DJFireUSA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fall into that hardcore group.

To be fair though, you're not hardcore until you are doing 3,000 to 5,000 + miles a month.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

I am 100% a social rider, I add Chrome on top of chrome, custom paint and stretched bags. Just to ride it down to local beaches and hang out with other guys with Harleys. I also go charity rides and really never venture out more than 15 miles from home unless its a ride. Also has to be at least 60+ degrees out also. No need to be cold.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM
02Deuces
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

about the only customizing to typically do to my bikes is exhaust, and intake.....I typically upgrade the tires and the brakes as well...

Not a big fan of all the chrome jiblts, I just ride...I've been avg. 16-20,000 miles a year since I was 18...I dont have time for my bike to be down for months customizing!

But man, those of you that do sure make some sweet scooters!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
Seems we have the hardcore guys that don't trailer, they put on lots of miles every year crisscrossing the country. These guys customize to make for good traveling, HP for passing trucks, tunes for more enjoyable back road rocking,,,

Then we have the guys turning touring bikes into conversation pieces, adding apes, big a$$ wheels and stuff that makes them really bad for actual traveling.

Which one are you?

(climbing into the fire proof bunker)
I guess i'd be option two, because I like my bike to look good and only average a little over 1000 miles a month. But I am active duty Army and ride when I can. I have mini apes but they have a function, they are at the perfect height to keep my back straight so I don't have to lean forward to reach my bars like the stock did(bad back from jumping out of airplanes for twenty years). I do trailer to rallies but I use the trailer to sleep in at night.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,744 Likes on 980 Posts

I think that you will find out that, all of us baggers
are a little bit of both. If I had a desire to take a long trip
on a bike, I'd go on my sporterized bagger. I've modified
the 07 for comfort by replacing the handle bars. I've modified
the 07 for passing cars and 18 wheelers, in short passing zones
by hopping up the engine and I've changed the look of the bike
to make me happy. So I am definitely somewhat both

Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
firefightermike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
Seems we have the hardcore guys that don't trailer, they put on lots of miles every year crisscrossing the country. These guys customize to make for good traveling, HP for passing trucks, tunes for more enjoyable back road rocking,,,

Then we have the guys turning touring bikes into conversation pieces, adding apes, big a$$ wheels and stuff that makes them really bad for actual traveling.

Which one are you?

(climbing into the fire proof bunker)
I have PYO monkey bars and fuelmoto package: 4" slashups, SS Header, Air Cleaner. I customize for looks and comfort. I've put 16,000 miles on my 2011 FLHX since I bought her new April 26, 2011. I'm a rider who likes to customize. Guess I need to update my signature picture.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM
pstmstr
Cruiser
Default Rider

Ive added some stuff to my Ultra limited but with 22,000 miles in 11 months I like to call myself a rider.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

To me I go by 2 rules with bikes.

1. It has to look good. When I open up that garage door to ride,I should be able to look at it and smile.

2. It has to be comfortable. If you can't get on your bike and ride all day,then wake up and do it all again. The bike is worthless.

I love tastefull mods that add some look to the bike example being a painted inner fairing. But I would never and I mean never sacrifice looks for comfort.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 2,736 Posts

I think I'm in the young crowd. I bought my bike in October of 2010 and I've put just over 10k on it. I rarely go more than a day or two without riding somewhere, but they're not always long enjoyable rides. I have a family at home, so I can't neglect them too much. I do usually get out for a couple hundred miles every other weekend, all year around.

As far as mods, well reference the young family part. I don't get to throw the checkbook at it, but during the week it usually stays on the bike jack for a couple of days while I get everything polished and keep her nice and shiny. I've mainly done maintenance over mods, but all of the mods I've done have been functional (passenger back rest for the lady, garage door opener, luggage rack for Rolling Thunder, etc.). I find myself doing stupid mods that no one will ever notice while tinkering in the garage. I cut off all of the regular zip ties and put new low profile ones on that look cleaner. I replace the exhaust band clamp hardware with stainless steel stuff so it doesn't look rusty and turn them so they don't hang down and look stupid. I took the foot boards off last night and removed all of the road scars and painted them. My thoughts are a well maintained, polished bike will be worth more when I can afford to upgrade later on down the road. Probably not true, but it makes me feel like I'm taking care of my investment.

I ride as much as my hectic life allows. In between I polish. Not sure where I fall either. Before reading this thread, I would say I was a rider, but some of the numbers in here are damn impressive. I hope to have the time to do those types of trips a little later on down the road. Hats off to you guys.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
marvo75
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can be both for sure. I had a zx12r ninja that i tricked out, 10" swingarm chrome everything, and i put 17k on it in a little over a year. Took it to cali and new york, crotch rocket on a 5k cali trip in 6 days= hardcore or dumb you pick LOL I'll go with a little of both. I say if your thang is pimpin your bike do so, just dont forget what the bikes for. I cant own anything without tricking it out...

Quick Reply: Riders vs Customizers,,,, Who's who?