Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Primary oil to choose? stiffer clutch spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012 | 03:59 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
ATF my man, ATF (automatic transmission fluid).
It's cheap, can be found anywhere, and designed exactly for this application (HD primary). I have countless years and miles using ATF in the primary - with zero negative issues.
Glad you had good luck with it, I ran it for about 6000 miles and it just cost me $500 for a new trans bearing on the primary cover! My mechanic that has been fixing Harleys for 35 years said it was oil related.
My bike now has 26K, boy, did I ever save a lot on oil!

Just remember this, Harleys have roller bearings not ball bearings like a car so it takes a specific oil like Harley offers. Nothing but Harley oil from now on, another expensive lessen learned!!!!

Old 10-01-2012 | 04:56 PM
pscyclepath
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Cheap *** rotella 15w-40 has the JASO stamp safe for wet clutches. It's what I use in my primary
+1 That is all you need.

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:02 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I use the B&M non-syn quick shift, no issues.

using this as it is one that Barnett recommends, Jegs is $4.99qt. others will price match. they only one they say not to use is HD +

Old 10-03-2012 | 04:07 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Harley primary oil or other specifically made for wet clutch be fine regular motor is for motor only not for tranny or primary or least not for my bike one oil in three hole is just to damn simple got to keep it complicated.

Old 10-03-2012 | 06:08 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by ellerja
now how much do you use?the book says 38ozs.but a quart is 32ozs.does anyone buy the extra 6 ozs?
i buy the gallon jug of rotella from the local autoparts house for less than $12.00 and just measure out 38 oz. so for each gallon jug, i get 3 changes of the primary.

Originally Posted by Just Me
Glad you had good luck with it, I ran it for about 6000 miles and it just cost me $500 for a new trans bearing on the primary cover! My mechanic that has been fixing Harleys for 35 years said it was oil related.

Just remember this, Harleys have roller bearings not ball bearings like a car so it takes a specific oil like Harley offers. Nothing but Harley oil from now on, another expensive lessen learned!!!!
use whatever you need to for peace of mind, but there is nothing magical about hd oil, and it is not so different from other oil. i've been a mech in the military for 20 years, and been riding for 11 and have never seen a failure due to oil. from not running oil, sure, but not from the oil itself. not saying it cant happen, but i've not heard of it.

Last edited by skratch; 10-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2012 | 06:35 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

HD Formula + is a basic 20w50 motor oil rebranded to make money off hapless owners.

Old 10-03-2012 | 07:46 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
HD Formula + is a basic 20w50 motor oil rebranded to make money off hapless owners.
and you would know this how?????

Old 10-04-2012 | 09:51 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
and you would know this how?????
he read it on the internet. it must be true

Old 10-04-2012 | 12:09 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me

Which oil, the primary or the transmission? They are separate you know.

Old 06-04-2013 | 09:04 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
FWIW, Type F ATF is was was recommended to me and I believe I even read that on one of the replacement clutch manufacturer's website (of course I can't find it now). It's designed for older automatic transmissions and designed to lubricate and keep parts cool while allowing good lockup of the clutch plates (and cheap). Just in case you ever want to give it a try.

To the OP - in my opinion, there isn't really a good "one bottle for all 3" oil. Each component (primary, engine, and trans) have different requirements and are best served with an oil designed for each specific application. But that's just me...
Been using type F myself for the reasons stated above. I have had no problems.

Quick Reply: Which Primary oil to choose? stiffer clutch spring