Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Primary oil to choose? stiffer clutch spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012 | 05:18 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Used HD syn, Bel rey, Mobil 1 V-TWIN and after installing SE compensator Formula +. Hands down smoothest shifting I've had yet.

Old 03-31-2012 | 05:28 PM
kmvallee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What he said...................................

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
ATF my man, ATF (automatic transmission fluid).
It's cheap, can be found anywhere, and designed exactly for this application (HD primary). I have countless years and miles using ATF in the primary - with zero negative issues.
Ditto on that.........................................

Harley Davidson, the most efficient way to turn gas into loud noise without the side affect of horsepower!

Old 03-31-2012 | 05:56 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 76,050 Likes on 22,795 Posts

HD Formula + here too.38 ounces of it. Not 32, but 38.

Old 03-31-2012 | 06:11 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for ATF. Works great and it comes in many different stages of how much slip it gives you. Type "F" for instance grabs real good. Dextron II gives just a little more slip. Take your choice. Either way I have had great results using it.

Old 03-31-2012 | 06:22 PM
ellerja
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys using ATF.how old are your bikes?ive got both ATF and syn oil.im torn on which to put in the primary.i want to run ATF for the wet clutches but am worried about bearing damage.i know AT's have roller bearings in them and never seen any bearing damage done but there small roller bearings.and some thrust bearings.i bought a quart of valvoline 4t today but now i see its not enough im 6ozs short.has anyone used the belray type primary fluid?is it thin like ATF or thick like MO?

Old 03-31-2012 | 06:30 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ellerja
you guys using ATF.how old are your bikes?ive got both ATF and syn oil.im torn on which to put in the primary.i want to run ATF for the wet clutches but am worried about bearing damage.i know AT's have roller bearings in them and never seen any bearing damage done but there small roller bearings.and some thrust bearings.i bought a quart of valvoline 4t today but now i see its not enough im 6ozs short.has anyone used the belray type primary fluid?is it thin like ATF or thick like MO?
The oil in your primary is not for oiling any bearings, it's purpose is to oil the primary chain, nothing more, that's why it matters very little what kind of oil you use and has a long interval between oil changes. On the old bikes, we would seal off the return sump from the primary and run 90w gear lube in there to keep the chain lubed. Never has an issue .......

Old 03-31-2012 | 06:31 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Redline Synthetic V-Twin Primary Case Oil for me. I've used it for years without any problems. Same for everybody I know who uses it. May not be for everybody, but it works great for me - and them.

Old 03-31-2012 | 06:35 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
The oil in your primary is not for oiling any bearings, it's purpose is to oil the primary chain, nothing more, that's why it matters very little what kind of oil you use and has a long interval between oil changes. On the old bikes, we would seal off the return sump from the primary and run 90w gear lube in there to keep the chain lubed. Never has an issue .......
Actually, the primary oil DOES lubricate the clutch bearing and the inner primary bearing. Both of which cause a huge PITA when they fail!

Old 03-31-2012 | 06:38 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,840 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Cheap *** rotella 15w-40 has the JASO stamp safe for wet clutches. It's what I use in my primary
Absolutely! Wal-Mart sells either 10W-40 or 20W50 motor oil for $2.37 quart. (I've run both grades and can't tell the difference.)

The point is though, that everything in my primary is original, ( even the clutch plates,) and I've just turned 105,000 miles.

It would seem that that's about all you need in there.

Mobil 75-90 Tranny, Mobil 20W-50 V-Twin in the motor (if you're asking.)

Old 03-31-2012 | 06:38 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Actually, the primary oil DOES lubricate the clutch bearing and the inner primary bearing. Both of which cause a huge PITA when they fail!
Agreed, but still, any decent lubricant will do ...

Quick Reply: Which Primary oil to choose? stiffer clutch spring