Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Primary oil to choose? stiffer clutch spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 09:15 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ATF my man, ATF (automatic transmission fluid).
It's cheap, can be found anywhere, and designed exactly for this application (HD primary). I have countless years and miles using ATF in the primary - with zero negative issues.

Old 03-27-2012 | 09:25 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I use the B&M non-syn quick shift, no issues.

Old 03-27-2012 | 09:30 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
ATF my man, ATF (automatic transmission fluid).
It's cheap, can be found anywhere, and designed exactly for this application (HD primary). I have countless years and miles using ATF in the primary - with zero negative issues.
Your not the only guy using tranny fluid. I would try it but tranny fluids have large amounts of friction modifiers. I don't know which ones don't.
So I am sticking with rotella. JASO ma rated.
And cheap.

Old 03-27-2012 | 11:05 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Your not the only guy using tranny fluid. I would try it but tranny fluids have large amounts of friction modifiers. I don't know which ones don't.
And cheap.
FWIW, Type F ATF is was was recommended to me and I believe I even read that on one of the replacement clutch manufacturer's website (of course I can't find it now). It's designed for older automatic transmissions and designed to lubricate and keep parts cool while allowing good lockup of the clutch plates (and cheap). Just in case you ever want to give it a try.

To the OP - in my opinion, there isn't really a good "one bottle for all 3" oil. Each component (primary, engine, and trans) have different requirements and are best served with an oil designed for each specific application. But that's just me...

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 03-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2012 | 11:54 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
And cheap.
I tried using ATF (M1 synthetic) and it made my primary very loud and the shift clanky...not to mention it stunk up my garage after I drained it out to the point that my wife asked me if there was something dead in there. No there's nothing wrong with my stator, sniffing the jug confirmed it smelled putrid. Rotella is my weapon of choice.

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:05 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
FWIW, Type F ATF is was was recommended to me and I believe I even read that on one of the replacement clutch manufacturer's website (of course I can't find it now). It's designed for older automatic transmissions and designed to lubricate and keep parts cool while allowing good lockup of the clutch plates (and cheap). Just in case you ever want to give it a try.

To the OP - in my opinion, there isn't really a good "one bottle for all 3" oil. Each component (primary, engine, and trans) have different requirements and are best served with an oil designed for each specific application. But that's just me...
Type f eh. Alright. Thanks

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:31 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not trying to be the "rightest" guy here but fear not the ATF.
Type 'F' has the additional friction modifiers you're so scared of. Type'F' was designed for early Ford automatics - thus the 'F'. Never heard of it hurting anything it was used in including HD primaries (AND GM automatics). Regular ATF (GM style) in an early Ford auto-tranny makes them slip right away.
Like I said, probably have accumulated 250K+ miles on several different HD's, all with ATF in the primary - no issues to date. The last stuff I bought was $1.45/qt. - still have a bunch left.
Never used (or smelled) syn ATF. The dino stuff works so well that I don't see any point in even trying a syn (especially if they're stinky like gear lube).

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 03-27-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2012 | 04:22 PM
ellerja
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now how much do you use?the book says 38ozs.but a quart is 32ozs.does anyone buy the extra 6 ozs?

Old 03-31-2012 | 04:31 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

There have been numerous threads regarding SE compensators where they had fretting with the ATF. I would stay with motor oil or a purpose made primary oil, like H-D Formula +. I use Harley's SYN3 (probably the only one on here who does, or admits to it) with no problems at all.

Old 03-31-2012 | 04:36 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
For me it's

HD formula plus in the primary

Redline heavy in Trans

None of it is cheap, might as well get what works best. Otherwise, next thing is to find an oil that also works as a hair gel too.
+1 HD Formula Plus in the primary and Redline Heavy Shockproof in tranny !

Quick Reply: Which Primary oil to choose? stiffer clutch spring