Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between a Biker and a owner of a M/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Difference between a Biker and a owner of a M/C

I am my organization's motorcycle safety rep. Logical in the sense that I have been riding since 1970. For those of you who are recent participants...back then we didn't have safety courses and life wasn't so PC. Remember PC...that comes into play here. I do remember when I was young and made to go to mandatory safety meetings, I personally thought...why? Does the purported expert even participate? Has he/she ever experienced that accidents that can happen when you are young and dumb? Are they in touch with reality.

So, our meetings are mandatory for the young riders. I was trying to get them to participate in a group ride (own their own time) and I have told them many times of the different dumb a$$ mistakes I have made over the years. I also told them that I believe we should push our skills envelopes to hone those skills and keep them sharp.

Anyway when we (the group) was discussing where to ride, we talked about the three twisted sisters in texas. (see you tube). Some of them expressed hesitation about that challenging ride. I told them it isn't that bad if you control yourself. Told them I rode the curves with no hands. Later, started telling war stories about people you run into riding. Something about an invitation for me and a friend to double time this lady. I declined as I ain't that crazy.

Well, one fella took exception about how can the safety guy tell the no hands story. And he was offended by the story of the double team offer. I kinda agree with that part...even though I believed the meeting to be over...not the place/time for it.

But, the no hands story was to prove two points.....push your skills and regardless of rep..no ride is too dangerous if you use the best safety device made..your brain.

I personally think the complainer needs to pull his panties out of the wad and grow up. Now, am I PC or what?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I thin think the complainer is a bit of a siisy and has no right to ride a motorcycle, let alone be in a group. How can anyone that RIDES a bike not want to challange themselves on a twity road. I mean, anyone can go straight.

Secondly, he should be in awe of someone with the ability to ride a twisty road with no hands. When you did it you were young and dumb, right. You are not asking or expecting him to do such a thing. Just using it as an example of what can be done, if you really want it. this guy needs to grow a set.

the story about double timeing that chick. I think I would have left that story for a time after a ride while pounding down adult beverages.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

With no hands you must lean to initiate a turn. Leaning to initiate a turn is a bad riding habit to develop. Leaning is important in tight turns, so the bike leans less, but is a bad habit to develop as a way to initiate a turn. Counter steering allows for much faster steering transitions. Counter steering to initiate a turn is a skill you want to perfect for emergency avoidance maneuvers, not leaning. Bottom line is there is some risk in your suggested exercise with no practical benefit.

I would suggest re-reading some learn to ride books like proficient motorcycling for some better ideas. As for talking about sex, religion or politics in the company of those you don't know personally, it's ALWAYS a bad idea IMO.

Last edited by fat_tony; 03-26-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of group is it that you are part of that some pansy would be allowed in?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain

No, the no hands deal happened the last time I rode the hills. And, I agree that given the nature of the meeting that the last story should have remained for other circumstances.

Hell, the guy that complained had caught my attention on several mornings due to his weaving in and out of traffic and disregarding that the time/place was dangerous and not a time I would ride like that. I was waiting for an opportune time to talk with him about it; but, now he would chalk it up as retribution.

Remember, this is a mentoring meeting...not you WILL or else....lol

Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

These days people look for reasons to be offended. Most likely that particular person felt intimidated and threatened in his manhood so he complained to get back control and some power. Unfortunately, those are the types that get the attention and sympathy. You get the butt raping by the powers that be.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

it was probably his wife propositioned you for the two on one.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fat_tony
With no hands you must lean to initiate a turn. Leaning to initiate a turn is a bad riding habit to develop. Leaning is important in tight turns, so the bike leans less, but is a bad habit to develop as a way to initiate a turn. Counter steering allows for much faster steering transitions. Counter steering to initiate a turn is a skill you want to perfect for emergency avoidance maneuvers, not leaning. Bottom line is there is some risk in your suggested exercise with no practical benefit.

I would suggest re-reading some learn to ride books like proficient motorcycling for some better ideas. As for talking about sex, religion or politics in the company of those you don't know personally, it's ALWAYS a bad idea IMO.
Tony, I didn't initiate the turn in that situation...turns are too tight and leaning would not make them happen fast enough. The reason for that particular exercise is to reinforce my sense of balance between the bike and me.

Touring bikes are too heavy to get any kind of fast response from a lean...not like a sport bike. And yes, I know all about counter-steering and practice that too and not just at the sedate speeds that you can get at a "course".

I have even been thinking about taking the RK off road to work on skidding issues with the goal of no bike on the ground. Did that with a Yamaha Road Star which weights 500-600 lbs. Came in handy and kept me from a high side accident and saved the custom paint that had been done two weeks prior.

What I find funny is the folks who are nervous about taking the ride on the "twisted sisters" ride sport bikes....those will run circles on touring bikes in the handling department.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rufasim
I thin think the complainer is a bit of a siisy and has no right to ride a motorcycle, let alone be in a group. How can anyone that RIDES a bike not want to challange themselves on a twity road. I mean, anyone can go straight.

Secondly, he should be in awe of someone with the ability to ride a twisty road with no hands. When you did it you were young and dumb, right. You are not asking or expecting him to do such a thing. Just using it as an example of what can be done, if you really want it. this guy needs to grow a set.

the story about double timeing that chick. I think I would have left that story for a time after a ride while pounding down adult beverages.
Yeah like Indian Larry. Now there was my hero. NOT! As Forrest Gump would say. "Stupid is as stupid does."

Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Which sister did you ride no hands? I want to see that. Some of those curves are a tight 270 degrees. I can see taking your hands off but not riding the entire way. I can see new riders being nervous. I have taken several new riders through there over time. Its important that they stay relaxed and aware and ride the ride they are comfortable with. I've seen cars and trucks head on in your lane, rocks and running water come out of nowhere. We go every year for sure and every year we see a bad wreck, usually speed related.

Quick Reply: Difference between a Biker and a owner of a M/C