Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS mount on SG

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Tighedog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS mount on SG

I'm sure this question has been asked before I've joined, but I gotta ask too. Anybody got a preferred way to mount a GPS (Garmin 500) on a 2011 SG? I'm thinking the only way is to RAM mount it to the handlebar but I really don't want to go that route if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check into the CVO GPS mount that goes above the inner fairing and sits flush with the outer fairing

It is like the same mold as those hogtunes tweeters thing

Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now you see it…

Now you don’t…

I used a RAM Ball mount (About $12.00 I think) and a marine grade fused cigarette lighter adaptor ($15.00 ??). I also went with a 3” RAM Arm ($15.00 ??) to get it a little higher. It takes about 30 seconds to take if off, unplug it, and put it in the saddlebag.

Besides keeping with the SG minimalist style it is much easier to see than a handlebar mount, without moving your head down and to one side. With a little eye movement you can just glance down which is a good thing finding your way in traffic.

At idle it vibrates a little more than a handlebar mount but smooths right out at anything above idle. I have the part numbers and prices on my computer if you want them.

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 03-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Try this: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

As long as your clutch bracket still has the mirror hole, you can mount this using the hole for a chrome allen head bolt and chrome washer and nut. Then use the short ram clamp and bracket and you are good to go.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

here's my take

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...gps-mount.html

I wanted something when the GPS was off the bike I didn't want the craddle and cables exposed...So I utilized what HD had given me to work with such as the holes for the mirrors in the perches...
I also took a film canister and use it to store the ends in to keep them out and nicely tucked away when not in use...I dressed up the top or the bottom depending how you look at it with a HD Skull to help add to the theme on the bike...

Your going to get allot of different views on this like who has the best motor oil but give it some thought and decide on what YOU want to look at when the GPS is on and when its removed...
paul

Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

A friend of mine had this mount last year when we rode to Rolling Thunder. I liked it and bought it. It's made by Kuryakan and is heavy duty, believe it or not. I have since removed that radar detector cause it was cluttering up the handle bars. But this picture shows you how the Zumo 550 mounts:

With this configuration my handlebars are clean, the GPS is in a central place, the guages and speedo are not obstructed, and when fueling it opens up just like normal. I tapped off of the headlight feed under the faring to feed voltage to the unit.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Tighedog
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestions, they give me a place to start. I had thought about using the clutch perch, but kinda like the option of having it on the fairing front & center. I'll do some investigating.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM
ronorr44
Advanced

Mine is very similar to Potatoes but here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails GPS mount on SG-photo-2.jpg   GPS mount on SG-photo-1.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Sath
Tourer

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
Now you see it…

Now you don’t…

I used a RAM Ball mount (About $12.00 I think) and a marine grade fused cigarette lighter adaptor ($15.00 ??). I also went with a 3” RAM Arm ($15.00 ??) to get it a little higher. It takes about 30 seconds to take if off, unplug it, and put it in the saddlebag.

Besides keeping with the SG minimalist style it is much easier to see than a handlebar mount, without moving your head down and to one side. With a little eye movement you can just glance down which is a good thing finding your way in traffic.

At idle it vibrates a little more than a handlebar mount but smooths right out at anything above idle. I have the part numbers and prices on my computer if you want them.

You should change your name to Sweet Potato

Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Quick Reply: GPS mount on SG