Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help the amp and stereo dummy

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help the amp and stereo dummy

Can I just install a RF300amp.(2or4)and then what add speakers and which Sony unit with handlebar conrols and phone and mp3 plug in at a later date?. am going to have this installed at Best Buy or stereo shop and do not know what to even ask for.

What about wires and cables for install?

Thanks in advance,

T K

Last edited by T K Glider; 03-26-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with this install kit.
http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...products_id=96
It's the Universal Model because I went with a Kenwood head unit.
This is the one I went with for the built in HD radio and Bluetooth.
KENWOOD KDC-BT952HD
I got 2 sets of Focal Access 165CA1 - 6 1/2" speakers, one mounted with cycle sound rings the other in the lower fairing speaker pods from Harley.
I picked up a amp install kit from Walmart and had some heavy speaker wire left over from something else laying around.

Not really that hard to install it yourself. I don't think I would let anyone from Best Buy touch my bike.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Can I just install a RF300amp.(2or4)and then what add speakers and which Sony unit with handlebar conrols and phone and mp3 plug in at a later date?. am going to have this installed at Best Buy or stereo shop and do not know what to even ask for.

What about wires and cables for install?

Thanks in advance,

T K
Just a note...you can't run your factory 2ohm speakers with a RF300x4 amp its made to run stable at 4ohms.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:00 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
I don't think I would let anyone from Best Buy touch my bike.

Good luck.
Completely agree! The fact that they don't know where to start should be a BIG red flag. Do search here or you tube videos on the install. If you can turn a wrench you can install the amp. Or maybe a local forum member in your area could help out. I'm on my phone so I can't see where you are.

Yes you can install amp and speakers only and then upgrade the head unit later if you feel the need.

Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

I'd spend your money on some new speakers first, and then add the amp down the road.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LADNAR
I'd spend your money on some new speakers first, and then add the amp down the road.
Problem is the 2 ohm VS 4 ohm deal. Do the amp and a nice set of 4 ohm's at the same time and if you want do the head unit later.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser

T K, how much money u got to spend? You can get the Amp off Ebay, $169.00 PBR300x2. The speakers off Amazon. $117.00 Polk MM651 (Very Good Speakers for the price) and speaker adapters off ebay also. $30-35.00. All this 100% upgrade from stock.

Last edited by mgordyan; 03-26-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM
T K Glider
Road Master

Thanks for all the replies.I am learning.I am also old cheap and sick so my budget is around $400 thereabouts.Leaning towards RF 300 amp with whatever speaker ohms I need.Like Infinity or Polks cause of cost.Having to remove the fairing to install amp it is a no brainer to install front speakers anyway.

How's my thinking so far?

T K

Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Thanks for all the replies.I am learning.I am also old cheap and sick so my budget is around $400 thereabouts.Leaning towards RF 300 amp with whatever speaker ohms I need.Like Infinity or Polks cause of cost.Haviing to remove the fairing to install amp it is a no brainer to install front speakers anyway.

How's my thinking so far?

T K
You have plenty of money! The only other things you are going to need is speaker wire 14 or 16ga. And 10ga power and ground wire, and an in-line fuse. Very easy stuff. Rockford sells an amp install kit make for the PBR series. Hardest part about the install is running the power wire from amp to battery.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM
T K Glider
Road Master

Ok will order MM651 for $122.50 on ebay.Now what RF 300 amp will work with stock head unit and stock rear speakers?speakers are 2.7 ohm.Does Wal-Mart have an install kit for cheap?

thx again,

TK

Quick Reply: Please help the amp and stereo dummy