Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 EG Ultra Limited-Not trying to beat a dead horse here...but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
StevenRK
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 EG Ultra Limited-Not trying to beat a dead horse here...but...

I've put a deposit a new 2012 EGUL BLK. Over winter I was seriously considering a RK because of simplier look and feel. I recently demo'd both....and liked both. I think I can get used to look of EG fairing...and there are many things I like about EGUL. I ruled out SG and RG. My wife is pushing hard for EGUL. Most of my riding will be local...with occasional trips alone and with wife.

I've read just about every post on forum in regards to making a ELUC into a RK or SG by installing detachable Tour Pak. I've researched HD parts to do detach including 53246-09A Kit and 70032-9 harness. But I've also read others going further by cutting and splicing quick connect connectors to reduce lengthy cables. My fear is to buy the EGUL and not acheive a clean detached look. I don't want ugly cables laying behind bags and an amatuerish look done to an otherwise beautiful bike. I plan to add second seat for a lower profile (possibly a RK style seat) and relocate license plate as well. I will probably have dealer do all mods....if I can find someone I trust. I'm looking for a reputable mechanic in Detroit area....anyone?

My questions to this group are...
1 - Is the 70032-9 harness all I need, or do I need to consider doing the cutting and splicing mod? https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/477270-how-to-make-your-tourpak-on-your-ultraclassic-quick-detachable.html. Is there any other mod I should be considering instead?

2 - Has anyone done the EGUL Detach Kit and have any comments either way that I should consider? Does anyone have any closeup pics of finished harness.

3 - Am I buying the right bike? By doing the Tour Pack Detach I hoping to get a Road King look...but with a fairing. After doing a bunch of demos, I think I could get accustomed to looks of the fairing, and for longer trips probably really appreciate it. I'd just like to get rid of tour pak for local riding and not end up with a crappy looking modification.

Steve

Old 03-25-2012, 03:41 PM
NoDeal
Tourer

If you go to a dealer, I prefer ABC Harley in waterford or Wolverine in Clinton Township. Or if, like me, you'd rather go to a top notch Indy, I always go to either DeMasters in Roseville or Iron Horse Baggers at 29 mile/ gratiot.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

anything is possible it's a matter of what you can and want to do, and if you want to spend.

this is my EG Classic stripped down, the Classic has no rear speakers, ( I don't use, them and I need the wider space on the pass seat for my tBag when touring)- so wiring is simplified, no rear speaker wiring, no CB antenna.

I did my own rear wiring harness from the seat back as i added some stuff and removed some stuff

mike

Old 03-25-2012, 03:56 PM
StevenRK
Intermediate

Thanks NoDeal...was planning DeMaster Monday....will add Iron Horse Baggers to my list as well. I want this done right!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:59 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

2011 Ultra Classic....detach kit for tour pack with cables under the seat for right now. Am going to put the connector in line soon though. License plate relocated. Smoked lenses with LED's.
I use a HD Badlander for riding solo (which is most of the time). Swap out the stock seat with either back rest or tour pack when spousal unit rides.
Mkguitar has a very sweet setup also. Look for pics of his bike.

HTH
-Carl

Attached Thumbnails 2012 EG Ultra Limited-Not trying to beat a dead horse here...but...-eguc-rearend.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 04:01 PM
StevenRK
Intermediate

Mike - Thanks for reply...your bike looks just the way I want to achieve. I'm going to have mod done by someone whose done it before. I'm thinking a custom harness is what I'll probably end up with...

Old 03-25-2012, 04:05 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Oops....I guess he posted the same time I did....now you don't have to look for his pics!

Told you it was a sweet look.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:19 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenRK
I'm thinking a custom harness is what I'll probably end up with...
I used a pepboys 4 pin trailer wiring kit.

$12

and some pondering.

Mike

Old 03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
StevenRK
Intermediate

HogglyWoggly - Thanks for reply. When you say "Am going to put the connector in line soon"...do you mean that your going to cut and splice connectors to eliminate long cables under seat?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you're suffering from anxiety already. Why don't you buy a Road King FLHR and install a detachable tour-pak. Lot less money and the FLHR is the most versatile motorcycle in the Touring line. Especially when you say most of your riding will be local. You can take off the tour-pak and install a solo seat and turn that King into a cool bagger instead of draggin' parts around on a Limited. Ride with the windshield off, looking at the big Hiawatha headlight while you're cruisin'. Man, I shoulda bought a Road King instead of this EGC:+)

Have fun in your search.

Last edited by one-up; 03-25-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 EG Ultra Limited-Not trying to beat a dead horse here...but...