Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap tourpack? anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012 | 11:03 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

At $650 (shipped/all HD hardware installed, including lock keyed to your ignition) for a King, and $600 for a chopped model (same stats), it's hard to beat powerproductsparts.com for a hand-laid, fiberglass tour-pak.

BTW, those prices are for Vivid Black. You can get them in 'raw' white, too. Very well made. All the standard Harley tour-pak stuff fits these, too. I bought a liner, and some emblems, and they went in/on without a hitch.

You're still going to need a way to mount it. I got a removable mount on eBay for $105/shipped. So, you're looking at $700-750 for the works, best case. Harley sells their stripped pak alone for $750 as I recall. You still need a lock, mounting bracket, etc. The plus side is the Harley can be ordered color-matched to your bike for that price.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 03-25-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2012 | 11:46 AM
6speed51
Road Captain

I bought a King tourpak from Surdyke, $620 plus $18 for the lock.Color matched. Hard to beat,worth checking out.Worked for me. Painting a Tourpak is gotta be at least $300 if you buy after market.

Old 03-25-2012 | 12:05 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the Matazu one for two years..just upgraded to an original HD king tour pak for my SG... The cheaper one is okay but you really get what I pay for..the hinges are OK but the lock and rubber molding around both halves suck. It is smaller and of course lighter than a original HD tour pak. The Matazu tour pak would make a rattle noise while going of bumps or rough terrain. It could use some personal modifications to make it better...

I'd say all depending on your budget...it's better than no tour pak at all...if you can go with an original HD one., I would and did..why?..has more space space, don't rattle, can put a tour bag on top of rail...I had a difficult time to locate and used one that at end would be cheaper than a new one due to color matching it..just my opinion..

Old 03-25-2012 | 12:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I've had the Mutazu for 5+ years. And I've had an HD Ultra tour pak for 4 plus years. The Mutazu is on a solo detachable rack and the Ultra tour pak is on a two-up detachable rack.

The Mutazu is similar in construction to the HD Road King tour paks minus the leather/vinyl covering; i.e., it's made of an ABS type plastic and is flexible. My estimation is that the Mutazu holds about 75% of the HD King TP's.

I ride 90% of the time with no tour pak. If I run errands or go on a short trip, I use the Mutazu because of its light weight/ease of installation and removal. I haven't had any issues with rattles or the latch failing. I suspect that those who have experienced problems with the Mutazu probably overpacked or used a luggage rack with significant weight or both.

My current Ultra TP is actually my second. I sold the first one because I got tired of seeing $850 sitting in the garage except for the one or two longer trips I made each year. I bought the second one because I had the bike custom painted a couple of years ago and figured if I ever used another King TP I'd may as well have it custom painted as well; and, because I got smokin' hot deals on a new bottom, mismatched lid, and backrest so I only have about $500 cost.

I recommend the Mutazu as an excellent value for someone who is not going to permanently mount a tour pak or, if they do, don't expect to load it up with heavy weight on the lid.

Carl

PS: When my bike was repainted, I disassembled the Mutazu. When it was reassembled, I used the same rubber gasket material used on the EG inner fairing as a replacement for the original gasket. The upside was a very tight seal between lid and bottom.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2012 | 02:54 PM
buggin02
Road Captain

If you buy the HarleyTour Pak you won't regret it. If don't, you may regret it so it's your gamble. JMHO but that's a pretty large piece of real estate(visually) to gamble on.

Old 08-28-2012 | 07:25 PM
GaugeMyers
Stage I
Default Tour pack called a Swinebox?

Anyone hear about a new tour pack that's getting ready to launch by a US company. From sounds of things this thing is badass! I've only seen conceptual renderings but they've taken all the features of the "quality HD pak" and incorporated hidden hinges, hidden latches & locks and some lines that match the side bags. It ships primed so all you need is paint (no hardware is needed). HOPEFULLY, it's what they say it is... I'm looking for something with lines that match my Street Glide's lines/looks (regular tour pak just doesn't look right and the sawed off razor pack doesnt let me put on a seat back & speakers...).

It's called a Swinebox ( cool name ) but I can't find a website?? If i see anything I'll keep updating this thread.

Old 08-30-2012 | 09:45 PM
todderickson
Advanced

I have one and its a good value for its price. I have the quick detach hardware and put it on when riding two up and on trips, which is about 30% of my riding. Just got back from a 1500 mile trip and had a fairly large bag on the rack and didn't have any problems, just make sure you pack the trunk full so the extra weight from the bag is supported by more than the hinges and you'll be fine.

Old 08-30-2012 | 10:51 PM
sawbones25
Cruiser

I picked up a black one back when I had an old Police bike. Never got around to putting it on.
Not long after I bought this Street Glide back in March we took a 1400 mile trip. So I picked up the docking hardware and detachable mount. Then I found some metallic spray paint that matched pretty close. I sanded the box, painted it, cleared it, and put it on the bike. Obviously it's not the same paint, but cruising down the highway no one was pointing and laughing. For the 1-2 times a year I may use it, it does the job.

Name:  IMG_0231.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  152.0 KB

Old 08-31-2012 | 12:21 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Just put one of the Mutazu's on my Street Glide. Wanted something sleeker than the HD, and this one is so light weight I do not know it is there. Easy to throw a leg over it, and to me it fits the stripped down image of the Street Glide.

Have a HD detachable mounting bracket, and needed to drill new bottom holes in the ABS pack to get a clean mount.

Think it looks OK. It is a little darker than my Ember Red Sunglow, but it looks great.

At $138 shipped it is a good deal. I also added the wrap around back rest, and the chrome rack. Still pretty inexpensive.

As others said, it is not as heavy duty as the HD tour pack, but is far better than the price would suggest.

Attached Thumbnails Cheap tourpack? anyone?-img_1337.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012 | 07:22 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

An HD color matched chopped tour pak was one of the best mods that I have ever done.

Name:  012-1.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  322.7 KB

Last edited by lionsm13; 08-31-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheap tourpack? anyone?