Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do Police bikes cost less?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never say "only" and "$15756" in the same sentence!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by green53
You get a hi-output alternator, beefed up starter motor, factory de-compression valves, the 103, 6 speed for a reduced price. I recently purchased a canadian 2009 FLHTPI with 11 k kilometers (7000 mi) fo $14 and my ins. co. calculated book value at $ 21950.00 for replacement purposes. I'd say the slight de-value for ins. doesn't bother me one bit! I like the tu-tone birch black, have white H3 aux. lights that work with the putsuit switch on both low and hi beam for a great flood effect at night up in deer country. I also enjoy the extra comfort of the police seat, and Utopia seat rests make a custom back rest for the stock seat at a reasonable price. Check 'Retired Police Bikes' forum, mostly good reports from other owners, and all the stuff to make a cop bike the way you like. Cheers.
At some point all this became standard in civilian models with 103 power pack. In 2011 they certainly were.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:32 AM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ocezam
If you want an Ultra, it can be done (talk to some of the guys @ retired police bikes dot com) but you'll pay more and work more. The tour pak, factory intercom, factory radio/CB, cruise control are difficult/expensive to duplicate. The savings won't be as great.
Really, it wasn't that difficult or too expensive - you just have to be patient, and wait for the right deals on used parts to come along... definitely research prices on parts (both new and used cost) before jumping on an item...

Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 AM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

To the original poster, I would have no hesitation in purchasing that 2011 FLHP with 1 mile on it... basically getting a lot of value for the buck.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to further negotiate the price... or have them include the seat you want, cruise control, etc. Go for it, and good luck!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it, you will not regret it. Excellent base to start modifications on. Pucks are great, the little pushbuttons are definatley better looking though. The tach is awesome, wouldnt get rid of mine for nothing. Its not "goofy" looking IMO, but im a gear head, who was into cars before bikes, I had a 5 inch monster tach mounting atop my steering column in my truck, not "goofy" at all. Stong bike, heavy charging system, 103, oil cooler right? thall save ya some cash from having to buy one and an adapter. Seat is definatley comfy, mine was already gone when I bought my RK. Paints arent always plain, as you can see below, theres nothin plain jane about Luxury Blue and Brilliant Silver. Being an 11 itll come with Street Glide wheels, which some people buy and put on there civilian road king. The detatch fairing is also awesomr for these bikes, go back and forth from Road King, to Street Glide (ish). No-Brainer in my mind, especially one that has never seen service, buy it. Only guys who dont know the real info will flame ya for buying one, but who cares what anyone else thinks anyways!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
bkbennett
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A police version typically has a higher-output electrical charging system to run all the added gear.

You also get a lot more connectors for the siren (illegal for you to activate one) that you can use for accessories.

Also, you typically get added switches on the bar that are ugly but can be used for those accessories. Get the supplemental manuals and have fun!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:57 AM
bkbennett
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

CAUTION: do not ride two up on the run-flat tires. They are not made for the extra load and will get hotter than a firecracker in no time!!! Big risk. I took it once, but after feeling the tire i didn't do it again.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The air ride seats on the police bikes are by far the most comfortable Harley touring seat you will ever find. You can ride much farther comfortably in a day, if you choose to do so, on the air ride seat.

The secret to using the air ride seat is to have the correct air pressure. Don't have it down at 10 psi or something thinking the bouncing will make it softer. Air that bitch up to 40-50 psi and ride. You will be more comfortable and have far better control of the bike. In fact that is the main reason that seat is on the police bike is for superior handling ability of the bike. Scoot your butt up as far forward as you can and you can make tight turns or slow speed manuevers much easier.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rushbass
Really, it wasn't that difficult or too expensive - you just have to be patient, and wait for the right deals on used parts to come along... definitely research prices on parts (both new and used cost) before jumping on an item...
That was really my only point. I guess I should have said more complex, not difficult. And I actually had you in mind when I suggested talking to other people about their experiences.

Originally Posted by Guntoter
The air ride seats on the police bikes are by far the most comfortable Harley touring seat you will ever find. You can ride much farther comfortably in a day, if you choose to do so, on the air ride seat. The secret to using the air ride seat is to have the correct air pressure. Don't have it down at 10 psi or something thinking the bouncing will make it softer. Air that bitch up to 40-50 psi and ride. You will be more comfortable and have far better control of the bike. In fact that is the main reason that seat is on the police bike is for superior handling ability of the bike. Scoot your butt up as far forward as you can and you can make tight turns or slow speed manuevers much easier.
That's certainly debatable. I couldn't stand my air seat. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Others, like you, love it.

Last edited by ocezam; 03-24-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new police bikes do not come with run-flat tires anymore, They have the same tires you get on a standard Road King. I believe the dealer told me 2008 was the last year for run-flats.

Originally Posted by bkbennett
CAUTION: do not ride two up on the run-flat tires. They are not made for the extra load and will get hotter than a firecracker in no time!!! Big risk. I took it once, but after feeling the tire i didn't do it again.

Quick Reply: Why do Police bikes cost less?