Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black out opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Black out opinions wanted.

This winter i had several pieces powdercoated gloss black. Nothing with the engine or exhaust to this point...so crash bar, levers, fender strut cover, boards, forks,etc. Well, after I put it back together I realized i needed more done so I'm taking the exhaust heat shields and heavy breather in to get done....opinion I'd like is, should I have those (or at least the shields) done in a flat black as opposed to gloss? Bike is vivid black with some red flames ( https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-in-slop.html )

I feel like i need that contrast of black, but wife is talking me out of it and says it needs to be gloss.

Thanks all,
steve

Old 03-23-2012, 01:51 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Either gloss or chorme

Totally up to you Steve. I have a vivid black bike and have just bought a gloss black powder coated A/C cover. I don't think I'd mix it up and put flat black on it anywhere but that's just me........and your wife haha.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
jperez434
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're doing the entire exhaust, then you should ceramic coat it. It will finish in a semigloss. If you powder coat, then you'll Only be able to have the heat shields done since the powder coating will burn off of the muffler megaphone. I just did my engine in gloss black and had my exhaust ceramic coated and I love it. My handlebars are also semi gloss from Wild Ones.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

With your black/red tins I'd do gloss...JRK5892 (forum member = The Powder Pro) coats exhaust all the time & can probably give you good options/ideas. I'd say give him a PM, or call.

http://www.thepowderpro.com/

Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

I would do a mix of flat and gloss.
If you go too much one way or the other it tends to make the bike look "flat" as in 2 dimensional. You need some contrast to make it come alive.

Blacking out a bike can be very cool if done right.
I've seen some folks go way overboard and black everything out which makes the bike lose all of it's character.

And don't be afraid of a little chrome. A splash of chrome here and there actually accents the black.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
campos
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
I would do a mix of flat and gloss.
If you go too much one way or the other it tends to make the bike look "flat" as in 2 dimensional. You need some contrast to make it come alive.

Blacking out a bike can be very cool if done right.
I've seen some folks go way overboard and black everything out which makes the bike lose all of it's character.

And don't be afraid of a little chrome. A splash of chrome here and there actually accents the black.
I agree, too much gloss black just starts to blend together. Some contrast really makes the bike pop, also agree with a little chrome here and there is also some nice contrast.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:10 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

CERAMIC COAT,,,,pic is ceramic coated exhaust with everything else gloss. powdercoat will fade on the shields near the heads and on the mufflers been there done that.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has a mix of the Vivid Black paint, wrinkle black on the drivetrain, gloss black (matches the Vivid paint) powdercoat and a few things just simple matte black.

Overall it seems to work.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
CERAMIC COAT,,,,pic is ceramic coated exhaust with everything else gloss. powdercoat will fade on the shields near the heads and on the mufflers been there done that.
will the powdercoat fade if i'm just doing the shields?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Black out opinions wanted

Black out opinions wanted.

A quart of Johnnie Walker Red should do it.

Quick Reply: Black out opinions wanted.