Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler conundrum. I need medicated

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 AM
drewski1325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil cooler conundrum. I need medicated

This is ridiculous, all I wanna do is buy an oil cooler for my 09 Street Glide and it has turned into an exercise of insanity. I have read all the oil cooler posts and have landed on a brand, Jagg and I have decided no tstat. NOW it's fan assisted or not fan assisted. I have went back and forth on this. Ya I live in Ohio where it isn't always hot but I did get stuck in traffic last year when it was hot out which is what got me thinking about this. As soon as I decide no fan HD will come out with them factory and then I'll be kicking myself for not getting one. I know, I'm nuts. Anyway let me here from the guys that have oil coolers. What are you guys buying? Are you happy with what you got? Can you recommend a therapist? Thanks fellas.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took off the HD cooler I had installed to install the Jagg fan assisted cooler and I am very happy with that decision.

The Jagg runs cooler going down the road by about 10-15° and the fan helps slow down the temperature rise when stuck in traffic.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I took off the HD cooler I had installed to install the Jagg fan assisted cooler and I am very happy with that decision.

The Jagg runs cooler going down the road by about 10-15° and the fan helps slow down the temperature rise when stuck in traffic.
Is your HD cooler available for sale?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drewski1325
This is ridiculous, all I wanna do is buy an oil cooler for my 09 Street Glide and it has turned into an exercise of insanity. I have read all the oil cooler posts and have landed on a brand, Jagg and I have decided no tstat. NOW it's fan assisted or not fan assisted. I have went back and forth on this. Ya I live in Ohio where it isn't always hot but I did get stuck in traffic last year when it was hot out which is what got me thinking about this. As soon as I decide no fan HD will come out with them factory and then I'll be kicking myself for not getting one. I know, I'm nuts. Anyway let me here from the guys that have oil coolers. What are you guys buying? Are you happy with what you got? Can you recommend a therapist? Thanks fellas.
You may want to go with the HD premium oil cooler, and put in the add-on fan. The total cost is much less, and I do believe the combo is working fine compare to any other after market oil cooler. Oil cooler from Surdyke, and HD add-on oil cooler fans from eBay.
There is no magic in this kind of stuff.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
DDuess
Road Captain

I added the factory cooler on my 96" like they use on the 103" (no fan), and I have never had the engine go into ETMS. The bike has been out in 100 deg. weather without any trouble.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My first thought is if you live in Ohio, you really don't need an oil cooler.
I live in ny and put one on last year only because I was heading out across country and on the return trip, would be going thru the deep south. had it not been for the trip, I wouldn't have bought a cooler.

but, if you dead set on getting one, my opinion is why wouldn't you get a thermostat and why wouldn't you get one that is fan assisted? makes no sense to me that you are so concerned about your motor that you want a cooler, yet your going to buy one that doesn't do all it should when it should.

anyhoo, I went with the ultracooler and I'm happy with. and yes, you guessed it, fan assisted and thermostat controlled.

pied

Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
boom23
Tourer

I have the HD one and I'm very happy with it. In my opinion, you need the tstat. You want the engine to reach operating temperature quickly. If you are in cold weather and have no tstat, you might never reach operating temp. But, that's me...

Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the Hd premium cooler on my 09.
No complaints at all.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I took th HD Premium oil cooler off my bike and installed the Jagg Fan Assisted oil cooler , the Jagg oil cooler is better than Harley's , my bike runs 16*-25* cooler with it than the Harley unit , my fan rarely kicks on it cools so well but I am glad to have because by my bike running cooler it is less heat on my leg

Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

"My first thought is if you live in Ohio, you really don't need an oil cooler"
Right, cause motorcyles don't get hot in Ohio. Newsflash, georaphical location not withstanding, your oil gets hot even in the dead of winter, it just takes longer to get there. We all ride in a wide range of conditions as the seasons shift, but you dont have to live in the Mojave to justify adding a cooler. Pick a cooler, they all do the job, some a little better than others. If you want maximum performance out of whatever you decide to get, put a fan on it. Since you do live in Ohio where its cold enough you "don't need an oil cooler", you might reconsider that thermostat to promote a quicker warm up.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler conundrum. I need medicated