Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler conundrum. I need medicated

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
drewski1325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Here you go... I didn't like the suggested location either... Here's where I put mine. It was much more work as fabricating custom bracketry is required but the end result was worth it to me.

Ah, yes I like that location alot better. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

With or without an oil cooler, if your bike has never engaged the EITMS, then you either have the EITMS disengaged or it is not working properly.

The EITMS is controlled by the front cylinder head temperature which will climb rapidly in "stopped/idle" conditions regardless of the oil temperature. I've done a lot of testing related to keeping these things cool and oil temperature is a primary result of engine temperature, not the other way around. Since the EITMS is controlled by the engine temperature, an oil cooler will have very little effect on the operation of the EITMS.

If your engine is at operating temperature (approx 250 deg F) it only takes about two minutes at idle without any airflow at 70 deg ambient to reach the threshold to engage the EITMS.

I think posts such as this are misleading and add confusion to those looking for actual information. The heat you feel on your legs is primarily from the cylinder head and exhaust temperatures. The oil temperature, even if 25 degrees cooler, is going to have very little to no impact on the heat your legs feel.
Yep.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The EITMS is controlled by the front cylinder head temperature which will climb rapidly in "stopped/idle" conditions regardless of the oil temperature. I've done a lot of testing related to keeping these things cool and oil temperature is a primary result of engine temperature, not the other way around."

Yeah, strange how a fluid circulating in an engine, that is cooler then the engine, cycling through a heat exchanger, wouldn't have any cooling effect. I bow to your superior thermodynamic theory and will now go fix my obviously broken motorcyle.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Not sure how you would define an "expert", but it doesn't take too much common sense to see that an oil temperature of 230 deg vs 255 deg has little impact on the heat your leg will feel when there is a 400 or 500 degree exhaust pipe in the immediate vicinity. The exhaust temperature trumps the oil temperature as far as your leg is concerned.

There must be some other variable if your leg is truly cooler.

I stand by my original statement.
All I can do is state the facts, I ran an oil cooler on my 88TC and though the oil was cooler it made no difference in comfort as the bike was not hot , on my 11 103 motor I installed cams , pipe , air cleaner and had it tuned with a TTS Tuner , the heat was still way to hot , I removed the vent doors in my lowers because fully open they still blocked about 1/3 of the opening , took my pipe off and had it ceramic coated inside and out , then had my bike re-tuned running a little fat so it would be cooler , left for North Carolina and my leg was red from the heat , I run Dakota Digital Gauges with the oil temp sensor in my oil pan , what I noticed is when the temp of the oil got above 230* the heat was miserable , 220-230* you could feel it but it wasn't bad , below 220* you didn't even feel it , on the trip my oil temp was 230*-255* consistantly , like I stated earlier I called Jagg while in NC and ordered their oil cooler , got back to Florida and installed it , 2 weeks later rode back to NC and never got above 230* , no leg burn or heat issues , my bike typically stays on my oil gauge now between 208*-224* and heat is no longer an issue , so you can say what ever you want in theory , but in reality is has made a difference , and the fan helps , why ? because at Daytona Bike Week in heavy traffic it would turn on and I never got above 225* , I can tell you when my oil temp is cooler my leg is cooler when it's hotter so is my leg , I think sometimes when you talk to a engineer or that type they always get hung up on theory but it doesn't always relate to the real world , I have ran the HD cooler with higher temp and the Jagg with lower temp and seen the difference , unless you have done the same I am more qualified to speak of the difference

Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

... The EITMS is controlled by the front cylinder head temperature which will climb rapidly in "stopped/idle" conditions regardless of the oil temperature. I've done a lot of testing related to keeping these things cool and oil temperature is a primary result of engine temperature, not the other way around. Since the EITMS is controlled by the engine temperature, an oil cooler will have very little effect on the operation of the EITMS....
Originally Posted by DDuess
Yeah, strange how a fluid circulating in an engine, that is cooler then the engine, cycling through a heat exchanger, wouldn't have any cooling effect. I bow to your superior thermodynamic theory and will now go fix my obviously broken motorcyle.
I think you mis-interpretted what I said. Where did I say that the oil "wouldn't have any cooling effect"? I didn't.

What I did say is that an oil cooler will have little effect on the operation of the EITMS and that engine temperature is the "primary" mechanism which creates the oil temp. Engine temperatures, as measured at the cylinder head, will rise rapidly when there is a lack of airflow. On the other hand, oil temperatures will rise gradually at a much slower pace. Conversely, cooling the oil has a much slower and lesser effect on cooling the engine than airflow will have. Oil is not the "primary" coolant for these engines, airflow is.

Regardless of oil temperature, sitting at idle with no airflow the EITMS should and will activate if it is enabled and working properly. It is inconceivable to me that an oil cooler will prevent the EITMS from activating under such conditions because the oil cooler cannot control the rapidly rising cylinder head temperature.

Last edited by 2black1s; 03-23-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Hate to throw this into the mix but did you take a good look at the Bud oil cooler. Really impressed me from what I could read about it.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
All I can do is state the facts, I ran an oil cooler on my 88TC and though the oil was cooler it made no difference in comfort as the bike was not hot , on my 11 103 motor I installed cams , pipe , air cleaner and had it tuned with a TTS Tuner , the heat was still way to hot , I removed the vent doors in my lowers because fully open they still blocked about 1/3 of the opening , took my pipe off and had it ceramic coated inside and out , then had my bike re-tuned running a little fat so it would be cooler , left for North Carolina and my leg was red from the heat , I run Dakota Digital Gauges with the oil temp sensor in my oil pan , what I noticed is when the temp of the oil got above 230* the heat was miserable , 220-230* you could feel it but it wasn't bad , below 220* you didn't even feel it , on the trip my oil temp was 230*-255* consistantly , like I stated earlier I called Jagg while in NC and ordered their oil cooler , got back to Florida and installed it , 2 weeks later rode back to NC and never got above 230* , no leg burn or heat issues , my bike typically stays on my oil gauge now between 208*-224* and heat is no longer an issue , so you can say what ever you want in theory , but in reality is has made a difference , and the fan helps , why ? because at Daytona Bike Week in heavy traffic it would turn on and I never got above 225* , I can tell you when my oil temp is cooler my leg is cooler when it's hotter so is my leg , I think sometimes when you talk to a engineer or that type they always get hung up on theory but it doesn't always relate to the real world , I have ran the HD cooler with higher temp and the Jagg with lower temp and seen the difference , unless you have done the same I am more qualified to speak of the difference
I can't argue with your findings. Only you know what your leg feels.

That said, I still have some doubts. Are you sure there were no other variables? Was the ambient temperature/humidity the same each day? Things like that.

Your right, I am the "engineer" type. And you're right that theory and real world experience sometimes generate different results. But when that occurs, more often than not, the theory was incomplete and some parameter or condition had been omitted or not completely understood when developing the theory.

Enjoy your ride.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I took off the HD cooler I had installed to install the Jagg fan assisted cooler and I am very happy with that decision.

The Jagg runs cooler going down the road by about 10-15° and the fan helps slow down the temperature rise when stuck in traffic.
+1 on the above my thinking too. I have little extra $$$ right now to do it, so will stay with HD cooler for now. I figure it is better than no oil cooler.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I can't argue with your findings. Only you know what your leg feels.

That said, I still have some doubts. Are you sure there were no other variables? Was the ambient temperature/humidity the same each day? Things like that.

Your right, I am the "engineer" type. And you're right that theory and real world experience sometimes generate different results. But when that occurs, more often than not, the theory was incomplete and some parameter or condition had been omitted or not completely understood when developing the theory.

Enjoy your ride.
Believe me I thought about all the variables , it was same trip weeks apart and conditions were similar , but mostly my bike was always to hot and bothered my leg , not just on this trip , and I noted the oil temp on my gauges when it bothered me , the Jagg has been on my bike for 1 year now and I have not seen the higher temps that were standard before it was installed and heat has no longer been an issue on my leg , I'm sure in the year I have ridden in many conditions and with more miles on the bike it may run cooler anyway , but the Jagg had an immediate effect for me and solved my issue

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PiedPiper
whateva dweed
Whudeva backatcha dude, you’re from NY and bought a fan assisted cooler, but you’re telling another member that he doesn’t need a cooler because he’s from Ohio, and you call me the dweed. Your statement ”had it not been for the trip, I wouldn't have bought a cooler” further supports my intent, that the average rider operates his bike in a wide range of environmental conditions, be it seasonal or regional. So it doesn’t matter where you’re from, you just might take a long trip that puts you in a warmer climate. When you got back from your trip did you take the oil cooler off? No you didn’t because your oil still gets hot when you ride locally, doesn’t it? The only time I would say a cooler is not "needed" is if a bike is never ridden for more than 20-30 minutes between breaks. For those that ride long distance and/or hit at least 1 hour plus between breaks, they are the ones who really benefit from a cooler. Too bad you‘re so sensitive and defensive, I could have told you how to maximize the performance potential of your UltraCool system. 84 degrees here today, just got back from a 3-hour ride, and the fan assisted oil cooler system that I designed and built kept my oil below 200, bet your UltraCool won’t do that. Dweed!

Quick Reply: Oil cooler conundrum. I need medicated