Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to buy extended cables/lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default where to buy extended cables/lines?

so i'm in the middle of installing 10" Monkey bars on my 2010 SG(non ABS).. and some say i DON"T NEED extended brake lines / clutch cables... some say "no way stock will work" ......ANYWAY.... i stoppped in a HD dealer yesterday just to look into the cost.. they told me the front bake line is all one piece and you can't just extend the upper line...the whole unit has to be replaced..then he quoted me $200
i didn't even ask about the clutch cable.
SO, who can shine some light on this...and IF i have to purchase extended cables / lines, where is a good place to buy them?

thanks boys...be well...ride safe...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might check with Dr VTwin, he is one of the sponsors here for this forum. I've seen many posts raving about his customer service.

Mike

Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 AM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Magnum clutch cable in a +4 on my 10 SG and it was the perfect length for my WO's 575's. I actually bought it from my dealer and it was $68. The brake line fit fine but am going to change it cause now I have chromiteII clutch and black break line. Now keep in mind my bike is Non ABS and the dealler quoted me $110 for Magnum break line assembly in the Chromite II.

http://www.magnumshielding.com/

The following users liked this post:
Magnum Shielding (03-08-2019)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
jeffw5150
1st Gear

I have also used magnum shielding. Very happy with product.
www.magnumshielding.com

Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LA Chopper is offering extended cable / brake / wiring kits. You tell them what bars you are using and they sell you a package that is proper length for your kit. Friend of mine buys the kits from them to sell in his shop as part of a bar / install package.

Kits use parts from manufacturers well known in the motorcycle industry so you are not getting some fly by night parts.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am laughing right now...I am going through the same thing. 07 SG has even shorter cables/brake line...Put the Yaffe MMBs on and forced everything to fit, but I don't like it. Brake line is way over stressed and I had to route the clutch cable outside the fairing to work and hate it. Drove the bike over a local wrench. $159 for braided Brake Lines. Like you found out you need both top and bottom...Had it been the top I would do it, but now that it is the whole deal I am having him do it. Wife's bike and I don't want it F'd up in any way. The clutch cable was $70. Again after doing the bars and everything myself, I am done and I'll have the wrench make sure it is all good from here.

My 09 RG was 10 times worse when pulling the wires, but everything else was 10 times easier. On a newer RG you can go with 12" Yaffes and there is plenty of slack everywhere. Oh well.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
mike1158
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRBass
I used Magnum clutch cable in a +4 on my 10 SG and it was the perfect length for my WO's 575's. I actually bought it from my dealer and it was $68. The brake line fit fine but am going to change it cause now I have chromiteII clutch and black break line. Now keep in mind my bike is Non ABS and the dealler quoted me $110 for Magnum break line assembly in the Chromite II.

http://www.magnumshielding.com/

hey thanks for the info...... just a heads up..either that dealer is giving you a GREAT price on the break lines OR he only quoted you the lower section.... cuz the MAGNUM website lists the lower break lines at $110 and the upper line at $54...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain

Magnum

Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 548 Posts

I used Magnum Chromite II's on my FLHXSE, and Barnett Platinums on my FLSTSI.

The Magnums I ordered from Dr. Vtwin. Pretty quick turn around. The Barnetts were ordered straight from Barnett. Both were around $300 for the set.

Since you're working with the FLHX, there could be some truth to what you're being told. If you have ABS, you can replace only the portion that runs from the lever to the ABS block under the right side cover. If you don't have ABS, you need to replace them all, including the manifold under the fork to the calipers.

I've heard many that install 10's use the stock cables, but reroute them, particularly the clutch. Have you tried that?

Also, check out www.lachoppers.com. They have cable kits available, in house stocked, and can ship quickly. They use Barnett for their stainless kits. Chucky is good people and will help you out.

The mini ape kit:
http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...527/index.html

12-14"
http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...528/index.html

^^both assume no ABS on your SG.

edit - just reread your post....non abs, I see it now!

Last edited by Redbeard719; 03-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
JRBass
Road Captain

It is all one piece on the non abs 10 sg. If you look at the picture on the Magnum site it is the lowers and the porportioning block and upper all together. You have to add it to your cart in order to see the photo. Allthough you make good sense since that one doesn't offer longer lengths. Maybe the dealler didn't realize that and the Magnum does come in 2 pieces. It's like an Ah Ha moment and time to make a quick phonecall.

Quick Reply: where to buy extended cables/lines?