Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the LRS Flat-Top???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thoughts on the LRS Flat-Top???

I have talked to LRS about the flat-top shield a few times but I am still on the fence. Not 100% sold on the looks. I understand that they function a little better than the Ultra. Especially for passenger comfort. But I am am not sure how it would look on my SG. If I get one I am going with the 7" version in medium or light tint. Anyone have any recent thoughts or feedback on the flat-top. How about pics. Found a few but would like to see some more before pulling the trigger.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Well... I have a 12" light tint flat top that I use basically for trips/rides over 250 miles. It works as advertized and is a great shield for maximum wind deflection. Not on the bike now so can't help you with the photo. I use a 10" recurve normally and its not nearly as effective. The 7" flat top should look pretty good on your SG and no doubt you'll like how it works ...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put the 8" flat top on the SG, had the 9" recurve. Of course, nothing liooks better than the stocker. But, it doesn't look bad, it takes a day or two to get used to looking at, then I don't notice it anymore. I loved the 9" recurve and was thinking about going to 8" with that one because it threw the air real high. I'm 6', stock seat. I decided to go with the flat top becasue the lasy said she was still getting hit pretty good with the 9" recurve and I figured 8" wasn't going to make her happy. That just don't sound right, does it? Anyway, she says the flat top is better, still getting a bit of a hit, so I'm not sure I would go to a 7" shield for the passenger, I'm sure it would work great up front.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a flat top dark tint on my bike and I absolutely love this windshield. I was originally thinking of the Stealth, but after speaking to LRS, he said I should give the Flat Top a try, I think it looks sharp, and the wind protection has been better than any other shield I have used to date. You can't beat the price either. I ditch my KW windshield in favor of this one, I just don't have a single bad thing to say about it.

My wife says this shield has provided the best wind protection of the others used, and I can hear my tunes much easier and the wife an I can chat a lot easier without basically having to shout at each other.

Just remember to size the shield properly. Some folks I have found do not buy the proper size shield because they're after a "certain look", if you buy a shield shorter than the one that is right, it's not the shields fault you are not achieving the desired effects.

FM

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 03-23-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Picture Added
Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 AM
cellison1460
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
I just put the 8" flat top on the SG, had the 9" recurve. Of course, nothing liooks better than the stocker. But, it doesn't look bad, it takes a day or two to get used to looking at, then I don't notice it anymore. I loved the 9" recurve and was thinking about going to 8" with that one because it threw the air real high. I'm 6', stock seat. I decided to go with the flat top becasue the lasy said she was still getting hit pretty good with the 9" recurve and I figured 8" wasn't going to make her happy. That just don't sound right, does it? Anyway, she says the flat top is better, still getting a bit of a hit, so I'm not sure I would go to a 7" shield for the passenger, I'm sure it would work great up front.
Same exact issues here on an Ultra. The wind was so hard on the passenger she said after about 100 miles her ears were in pain. For now I'm back with the stock Ultra shield

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'4" and ride two up a lot. The light tint 12" flattop is a great shield for both me and my wife. It won't work right if too short. Make sure to get fitted properly somewhere near your nose & mouth and you and passenger will both be smiling.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the Flat-Top mostly benefits the passenger, what does the rider benefit? I mostly go for functionality before looks and the Flat-Top is just plain ugly in my opinion.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shortride
If the Flat-Top mostly benefits the passenger, what does the rider benefit? I mostly go for functionality before looks and the Flat-Top is just plain ugly in my opinion.
"For Me" the flat top blocks wind as close to stock from any of the other shields I have used, without being so tall, and well, opinions on what looks and sounds good on bikes are always different, people have different tastes, that's what makes this all great, if not we would all be riding identical motorcycles.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
When fitted properly, the rider will get a windshield that does what a windshield is supposed to do better than any other windshield on the market IMO.
It is only a side benifit this windshield works so great for the passenger as well, not the main benifit.
As to looks, that is a personal preference and for me the flattop took one or two days to get used to and now I'll never go back unless of course LRS comes up with an even more functional design.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an 8" and I just ordered a 10" for a long trip next month. The 8" does wonders for me on short rides, even at high speeds. Can't give my wife's input because she has not been able to ride the last few months. I think it looks different from everyone else and I like that.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the LRS Flat-Top???