Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Retreads

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
mlbraptor
Road Master
Received 2,199 Likes on 724 Posts
Default Truck Retreads

Just about got killed today by a tractor trailer retread that exploded. The tire flew near me and sounded like a bomb going off. You see pieces laying on the road all the time. I wonder how many wrecks have been caused by this. The recaps should be outlawed..

Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I can imagine what the tire would sound like if you were near it outside the cab as I drive a tractor/trailer for a living and times I've had the blow outs, it's startling to the driver.
Another thing is when I pass a tractor trailer I don't lollygag...get-r-done!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been driving big trucks for the last 25 years and I wish outlawing recaps would fix the problem. Truth is, I have lost the caps on as many recapped tires as not. They're bigger tires, so they pick up more road hazards and are subject to a lot more heat.
It scares the crap outta the guy diving the truck, I hate to imagine what it does to a rider. Probably give me a heart attack. Glad you didn't get hit or worse.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:34 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by karbar99
I've experienced a number of blow outs while driving; motorcycles, cars, pick up, big truck and bus. ( and some of those tires were new, not re-caps)

The bigger the tire, the bigger the mess.

When approaching a big truck/bus- get into the mirror- watch to see that the driver knows you are there- so that he doesn't try a lane change while you are passing him.

THEN pass at a good clip, on the outside of the adjoining lane, away from the tires etc.

Be aware that air compressors may release pressure, don't be startled by a big hiss of air.

Just get by and wave as you go, he's probably looking at your chrome doo-dads thinking about his bike at home.

If traffic doesn't allow you to get all the way past quickly, drop back and wait.

I once had some driver in a snow storm sit to my side for about 20 minutes, they'd get up and hit the spray from my drive axles, then freak out and drop back ( I could see the white knuckles)- then try again---over and over.

the whole time they sat there they were in danger of a tire going or what if I had to swerve--- remember that a driver will rather hit something going in the same direction than hit a stopped car or object on the road.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-22-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM
ridzalot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those "gators"you see are not neccessarily retreads. New tire treads will come off if the tire is ran low on air pressure. A couple of weeks ago a buddy and I come upon a slower 18 wheeler. I smelled hot rubber so we rolled on the throttle and left a lot quicker than we arrived. Don't know if it ever blew or not but we didn't hang around to see. It is best to get on by quickly. If you see small pieces if tread, be on the alert soon you will probably see the big one. Stay safe.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Most dangerous thing about riding at night imho. Dead critters and tire caps laying in the lane scare me much more than animals running out in front of me.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like them either, but I asked a buddy of mine who drives big rigs for a living about them, and his opinion was that if they banned them, the costs of shipping would rise significantly, and that cost would eventually be passed down to the consumer, and he thought that was the reason they wouldn't ban them. Don't know if it's true or not though.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by karbar99
+1. Personally, when I pass an 18 wheeler I haul *** after making sure he sees me, making sure I have plenty of space to get past at a high speed, and never ride just behind or next to them.

I saw a BMW torn up by a gator coming off on an interstate--can't imagine what'd happen hitting a bike/rider.

As for night riding, my biggest concern are gators on the interstate, so I ride accordingly.

Carl

Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a buddy that would cruise next to 18 wheelers.......I used to drive the damn things and told him about the tires. He dont waste no time getting around them now. I never ride around 18 wheelers. Too many things to kill ya.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
QSRYDR
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an up-close view of a trailer tire letting go once.

I was about 200 feet behind a truck on I-95 in my diesel pickup with the windows up, A/C on and stereo cranked. When the tire blew, it sounded like a bomb going off- startled the hell out of me.

That gave me a whole new respect for what those truck tires could do.

Quick Reply: Truck Retreads