Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Retreads

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Bagger71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether it is a retread or a new tire. A gator in the middle of the road will make you pucker when it is in your path. I was riding a KZ1000 between Fresno, CA & Modesto in 1989 when a semi truck in front of myself & a buddy straddled almost a complete outer tread from another semi. Traffic to the left and buddy to the right. He was able to swerve around it toward the shoulder and I had nowhere to go because of the car to my left. I grabbed a gear and hammered down while pulling back hard on the handlebars. Fortunately for me the bike had enough power to get enough weight off the front end at 70 mph that the gator acted like a ramp and I caught about 2-1/2' of air. Once we were past it I'm not sure who's eyes were bigger, mine or my buddies. Had I not had the wits about me to think quick I don't believe I would be laughing about it in hindsight today. As I also had traffic behind me. Since that time I never get into a situation of being boxed in anywhere with no where to go especially around trucks. I make sure they see me then haul @ss around them.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
jaybull
Cruiser

I been driving with 26 or more wheels under me for 10 year now. 14 years altogether in semi's. Lots of things make em blow up. Retreads on my trailers rarely come apart if ever. Ive seen low air from a lazy truckers being a big problem over the years. The guys that don't inspect the tires when they stop or a couple times a day seem to have problems. But i can honestly say i don't see many problems with retreads. It's more lazy truck drivers, running poor inspections and such. Just look at some tires on trailers at a truck stop some time. You'll find out of 10 rigs, at least 1 will have some wavy looking treads on them. Or flat spots from skidding or some other out of service issue. But a lot of guys are to fat and lazy to check them. So they have a blowout. And then you blame it on a retread. lol And pizz off a tire guy. lol Who schools you on tires.lol Then you get but hurt. lol

Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you get but hurt??? What the hell does that mean? And according to "the tire expert" himself, 46% of all the tire debris on the road is from re-treads. I'd like to have that 46% be gone, what's the problem with that?

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 03-22-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM
jaybull
Cruiser

I would be more worried about loose loads myself. None the less i like it when a guy looks in my mirror. At least i can see him first then.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

18 wheelers, I get away from them- don't follow 'em, and like them way behind me in my mirrors.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 PM
jaybull
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Then you get but hurt??? What the hell does that mean? And according to "the tire expert" himself, 46% of all the tire debris on the road is from re-treads. I'd like to have that 46% be gone, what's the problem with that?
LOL. Well no problem to me cuz i don't buy my tires. But like another guy said here, shipping would go up. And then you know the old saying " **** rolls down hill " It sucks but money talks, retreads walk.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Jon0807
Tourer

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
If you got rid of re-treads wouldn't that make 100% of all tire debris from new tires?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Jon0807
Tourer

btw, I've been driving big rigs for 14 years. Been owner/operator for 12 of those years. The price difference between new and retreads is huge. About 1/2 to 2/3 the price. If retreads were outlawed everything you purchase that is shipped via trucks would go up. And after 14 years of driving, I've only lost 1 recap thread. And I used to be a dirt hauler. Those tires take tons of abuse from quarries and construction.

But I do agree with you that it can be a frightening thing no matter what you're driving. But it's just one of the many dangers we face as motorcycle riders. If we outlaw retreads, we'd have to outlaw road kill, pot holes, cagers, teen drivers, old drivers, asian drivers, rain, sun, hills, curves, crotch rockets, bmw's...

Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickl
For your information approximately 54% of the tire debris you see on the road are from NEW tires, with the remaining from RETREADS..
Not to add fuel to the fire, but aren't those numbers somewhat of a mis representation? I mean of course there is going to be more tire debris from new tires because there are more new tires or shall we say non-retreads on the road than retreads.
I'm not discounting retreads. I drive on them everyday and they certainly keeps our tire costs in check. And you are right that just because you see tread on the road, doesn't mean it's a retread. I've seen and thrown many "gators" on the road that weren't retreads.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There are a lot of companies that only run new on the front wheel position (steers). The drives and the trailer tires are retreads. Here's a little factoid - are you aware that for the most part the UPS package cars (those that do the delivery) run retreads in every wheel position. When is the last time you have seen a UPS package car on the side of the road with a flat? I myself can't remember a single one. Why, because they have a tire program that is always monitoring the tires i.e. checking the tires for cuts, bruises, etc., along with constant air pressure checks.

So now be honest with yourself, when is the last time you checked your air pressure on your bike? Your other vehicles? I bet you may do your bike quite often, but your car/truck a heck of lot less.

Quick Reply: Truck Retreads