Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourning Wheel / Bearing Size Clarification 2k - 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012 | 02:25 PM
SmokinRK
|
Advanced
Default Tourning Wheel / Bearing Size Clarification 2k - 2007

For the Touring bikes, can someone verify that the size of the wheels for 2000-2007 are the same and the only diff. being bearing size? Or are they in fact different?

I am doing a swing arm upgrade on my 2001RK and it has 3/4" bearings stock. 2002 - 2007 are 1". Some folks tell me I need to get a 2002-2007 wheel and some say I can just go buy the 1" bearings and I will have the exact same thing. The swing arm came with the 1"axle, nut, and spacers. I know I need the 5/8's bushing kit for this to fit my bike.

Thanks
SmokinRK

Old 03-22-2012 | 04:35 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

You can install 1" bearings in your wheel, but you might have to open up the hub for the 1" spacer. Some of the early hubs are only big enough for the 3/4" spacer, so you would have to drill or machine the hole to accept the 1" spacer. I've done it before when I used a 3/4" front hub to lace up a 18" rear spoke rim. The bearing recesses are the same so 1" bearings will fit, might be just as easy to find a 02-07 wheel.

Old 03-23-2012 | 02:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I have done this upgrade to my 1990 FLHS and wrote up about it on HDF.

If your bike has 3/4" tapered roller wheel bearings like mine, I suggest you may find it easier to use a later wheel, which has sealed ball races. They have a larger OD than the tapered bearings and I didn't consider trying to modify my wheel. There are several reasons which will be clearer if you read the link and study the photos.

Your caliper won't easily engage the later swingarm, your wheel is not easily adapted to accept 1" bearings. The bolt hole pattern on old and newer wheels is the same, but the centre mounting hole is larger on later rotor and pulleys, so there are a lot of things that obstruct progress!

I found it easier to use the entire swingarm/brake/wheel/pulley and while I was at it used the later narrow belt.

Old 03-23-2012 | 06:56 AM
SmokinRK
|
Advanced

Thanks for the heads up. I forgot to mention that I have the caliper for that swing arm as well. I also plan on getting a pulley and belt for a 2007 model year, they are even a bit more narrow.

OK so I guess I need to go wheel hunting...

Thanks
SmokinRK

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have done this upgrade to my 1990 FLHS and wrote up about it on HDF.

If your bike has 3/4" tapered roller wheel bearings like mine, I suggest you may find it easier to use a later wheel, which has sealed ball races. They have a larger OD than the tapered bearings and I didn't consider trying to modify my wheel. There are several reasons which will be clearer if you read the link and study the photos.

Your caliper won't easily engage the later swingarm, your wheel is not easily adapted to accept 1" bearings. The bolt hole pattern on old and newer wheels is the same, but the centre mounting hole is larger on later rotor and pulleys, so there are a lot of things that obstruct progress!

I found it easier to use the entire swingarm/brake/wheel/pulley and while I was at it used the later narrow belt.

Old 03-23-2012 | 07:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I live in the UK but all my stuff came from US Ebay! With the later wheel everything just bolts right up, except swapping the belt of course. I used a ready made stainless brake pipe as the only other expense.

Another benefit is you can get in a 150/80 tyre with no difficulty!

Old 03-23-2012 | 08:20 AM
SmokinRK
|
Advanced

Good deal, I will start looking there and on this forum in the classifieds. Actually fitting a 150 is what started me on this little venture. Pretty much everything I have done so far has been functionality and handling. In regard to the rear pulley my buddy's 07 Ultra has a 66T and it looks like it has that same built in spacer that Howard mentioned in your thread. The back of his pulley has dyn,sft,tour stamped on it so I'm thinking its a multi-fit. I know I have to consider gearing change because I have a 70T now and of course the belt will need replaced as well.

Originally Posted by grbrown
I live in the UK but all my stuff came from US Ebay! With the later wheel everything just bolts right up, except swapping the belt of course. I used a ready made stainless brake pipe as the only other expense.

Another benefit is you can get in a 150/80 tyre with no difficulty!

Old 03-23-2012 | 08:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member

The parts I have are a bit of a mix. The swingarm and caliper are 07, I think my wheel, which came with a pulley, are 05. So my gearing is 70T rear which I am very happy with.

I bought my bike new and as a UK spec bike it came with a 61T pulley, which is a bit extreme and I was keen to get rid of that when I realised I could!