Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Leather Bags to Hard Bags Cost?? What have you found and paid????

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Question Road King Leather Bags to Hard Bags Cost?? What have you found and paid????

Hey All..
Got a buddy who is looking to change his Leather bags to hard bags and he is trying to find out what kind of cost is involved. I thought maybe some of you that have bought new bags for replacement might give me some ideas on cost and purchase. Bags will be color,so not black.Full bags,Lid,Bottom,latches and covers...Also if you know order time?? T.I.A. as always... Tim.......o~`o.....................

Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,544 Likes on 2,700 Posts

I was looking at Matazu, raw finish is $250 for a pair without latches/locks (scroll down in the link below). I figure I can sell my leather bags for a decent price since they are fairly new and at this point flawless.

Anyone have any feedback on Matazu bags?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivid-Black-...ht_3764wt_1344

Last edited by Keithhu; 03-22-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I was looking at Matazu, raw finish is $250 for a pair without latches/locks (scroll down in the link below). I figure I can sell my leather bags for a decent price since they are fairly new and at this point flawless.

Anyone have any feedback on Matazu bags?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivid-Black-...ht_3764wt_1344
I had a different style of their bags on a bike and they were super flimsy. They did the job but do not compare side by side to the OEM ones. One time at a red light a friend of mine on a bagger lit it up and his rear skidded into me and just shattered the Matazu bag. If you have ever checked out the Hard Bags on a Metric and noticed how flimsy they seem, that what they are like.

I see take offs on e-bay and craigslist that are usually in the 500 range.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardware $350 to $450 complete with locks. Bags with tops $400 to $500. Paint depends on location and condition of bags. So anywhere between $750 to $900 if u piece them together. I so happen to have a set of denim black hardbags top and bottoms no hardware for $350 shipped. If your friend is interested pm me.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I picked up a pair of cop bags on the classifieds here for $150 in near mint condition, only thing was the guy didn't have the keys to the locks so I have two new, keyed to match my ignition, locks on order from Surdyke for $40. The bags I bought were black but I kind of like the black bag look on a classic (after all the original leather bags are black). In addition, I just posted a thread a couple days ago asking what I should be expecting to pay for a paint job on the bags. The guys here said roughly $500 maybe more...at that price I think I like black bags just fine. My bike is by no means a show winner, I just keep it shined up and enjoy piling the miles on. I only went with the hard bags for the bit of added security as a lot of my riding is running errands to the store(s) and I almost always have my laptop with me.

As a side note, don't rule out a set of cop bags, I think the hockey pucks look different, you can get covers for them or you can convert them to push button opening. Being able to open up the bag at a traffic light to grab something out is a huge plus, especially with a passenger and/or on a long run when you're trying to staying hydrated or cross a state line and want to dump your brain bucket.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I just did this swap a few months ago. I would not piece them together. Way too expensive to do it that way. Keep checking eBay and this forum. They pop up on eBay all the time. I picked up a set there for $550.00 shipped. Perfect condition with all latches, hardware and keys for the locks.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
MegaFauna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carrmat
I picked up a pair of cop bags on the classifieds here for $150 in near mint condition, only thing was the guy didn't have the keys to the locks so I have two new, keyed to match my ignition, locks on order from Surdyke for $40. The bags I bought were black but I kind of like the black bag look on a classic (after all the original leather bags are black). In addition, I just posted a thread a couple days ago asking what I should be expecting to pay for a paint job on the bags. The guys here said roughly $500 maybe more...at that price I think I like black bags just fine. My bike is by no means a show winner, I just keep it shined up and enjoy piling the miles on. I only went with the hard bags for the bit of added security as a lot of my riding is running errands to the store(s) and I almost always have my laptop with me.

As a side note, don't rule out a set of cop bags, I think the hockey pucks look different, you can get covers for them or you can convert them to push button opening. Being able to open up the bag at a traffic light to grab something out is a huge plus, especially with a passenger and/or on a long run when you're trying to staying hydrated or cross a state line and want to dump your brain bucket.
+1 on the cop bags, seem to be a lot of them on ebay usually people change them out for their preference, so they can be found in very good shape. That is if your buddy doesnt mind the design of the cop bags. I like mine.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
mnwinter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on keeping an eye open on Ebay. Recently found a brand new pair (never put on the bike as it was converted to a trike) of Harley bags painted 105th colors. Locks with keys, hardware and in perfect condition for $750. You might also try sniffing around for some at shops that specialize in trike conversions.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a set of brand new HD 2012 dealer take-offs, vivid black for $800.00 minus locks. I bought a set of locks keyed to my bike for $150.00.

I tried piecing a set together and wasted a bunch of money in the process. On e-bay: Very good to new HD painted Bags with out lids and hardware are about $400.00, hardware ranges from $250.00 to $400.00, aftermarket painted lids are about $230.00 a pair and HD painted lids for about $230.00 each. Used set of police bags that need paint normally go for about $400.00-$600.00 a set on e-bay.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been weighing the various hard bag options as well. I can get color-matched HD bags for anywhere from $1200-$1600. I've seen used bags go for about $500 on Craigs List and eBay (mostly black ones).

The issue is whether I really want color-matched bags or just use black hard bags. My RKC leather bags are black. I also have a silver bike and black can look very good with that color.

One other black saddlebag option is to go with Cavalry after-market bags which go for around $700.

Unless I can get a steal on a set of used bags, I might as well just buy a set of new Moco color-matched bags... or save money and wear black.

Quick Reply: Road King Leather Bags to Hard Bags Cost?? What have you found and paid????