Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another dealer service disappointment - damn!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 AM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another dealer service disappointment - damn!

Ok - rant warning.

Brought new bike into dealership for 1K service.

Had a previous "not so great" experience at that dealer with my old bike - they spilled lots of oil on the front motor mounts when changing the filter and didn't clean it up. They also way overfilled the oil.

This time around I spoke to the owner about that problem when I bought the new bike and was assured things were different in the service department. When I brought the bike in for this 1K service, I spoke in detail with the service manager about this concern - and asked for his assurance that they would clean it up properly and not leave oil on the engine / front of the bike. He said for sure they wouldn't (used to have young kids working there, since economic downturn, more experienced staff etc). By the way, a previous phone call about this subject led to me being informed that they now pressure wash the bikes now after service to clean them up amnd there is no way this would happen again.

So I pick up the bike, and there was some oil on the front of the engine / electrical connectors etc. Not as much as last time, but I wasn't happy with it. And the bike was not washed at all. I haul them outside and demand that it get cleaned up - which he said no problem (he was very embarrassed).

So young kids clean the bike.

Get it back - and there are some minor scratches on the saddlebag lids and some marks where the passenger pillion is. Those marks were not there when I brought it in, but they claim it must be from my 2-up seat. So - he says no problem, he'll buff them out for me. So he takes the bike and I hear someone in the back hitting it with a buffer.

I get it back and the marks are gone - so I take the bike home.

Today I notice that when they buffed it - they were too lazy to remove the seat and obviously touched the back of my custom C&C seat with the polisher. There is a small mark where they damaged the rear vinyl banding. It isn't cut through - but I don't think I should be dealing with any damage after a service. These folks are just lazy.

I know I am very picky - but I am done with dealerships servicing the bike. I just dont' want / need the aggravation. I ended up with the same conclusion on my last bike (did my own service work) - but I obviously forgot the lesson.

I really hate people who don't care about their workmanship.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like once the can was opened the worms exploded out.
Service like that makes me wonder how some businesses stay afloat. They must sell alot of t-shirts because they likely don't make much having to keep doing free stuff for customers due to their negligence

Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can only hope they send you a questionnaire about how they're service work was on your last visit. I'm on my 3rdunion dealership following 1 particular mechanic because he's the only tech I trust!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

3rd dealership

Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

name names.

You have a legit beef.

Other wise I'll suspect every shop in a hundred mile radius of OC

- and a negative review may be the only way they will figure out change or die

Mike

Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I guess you had a learning experience. Do your own maintenance.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn't let any one wash my bike,especially pressure wash it.I want to be the one that scratches it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never allow the dealer to clean my scoot after any kind of service. I've got a touch of ECD when it come to cleaning my bike anyhow and usually can't wait to get it home and do some polishing. I even wash the bottom side every once in a while.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

your a sucker for punishment, after the first time i wouldn't have even gone back.

Its a sad story, if anyone should know how to do a clean oil change it should be a freak'n HD dealership. They probably have a hard time keeping minimum wage grease monkeys around. after the first time I would have just chewed their asses out and stayed away.
personally i wouldn't let anyone pressure wash or take a buffer to my bike.

storys like that **** me off, what ever happened to quality control?

Last edited by ynots; 03-22-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

You are one picky person.

At least they worked on your bike in a timely manner. My bike is in the shop right now for warranty work and they now tell me they are going to work on it. Drop the bike off Sunday afternoon. Called Weds afternoon. Almost 3 full working days of it sitting in the shop. And they tell me "Oh our tech that is suppose to work on your bike took the day off."

What!!! you could have told me this prior to dropping the bike off or at least say you have a backlog of other bikes that need to be worked on. So I can have a general idea when you actually started. Im not an impatient person, but you can at least give me an update instead of me calling waiting for 3 days to figure out the status of my bike.

Fox River HD St. Charles, City Limits HD Palatine... Yeah Im calling you guys out. If you guys are reading this. Which suprisingly dealers seem to be oblivious that there are internet forums out there.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 03-22-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Another dealer service disappointment - damn!