Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy former rental street glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Slynchee
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy former rental street glide

Ok, I went to the dealer today and they had a 2009 Street Glide. It had everything I want. ABS, Cruise, Security with 12000 miles. I rode it and my buddy who owns a CVO SG rode it after me. He said it was tight with no issues. Am I crazy to buy a rental bike? BTW, I got them down to 16500 for the bike. It is a great color too, blue. I want to pull the trigger but I am afraid of making a mistake. Curious on your thoughts.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd look for a private sale unless you are stuck on having to finance through the dealer ( credit union?)

I bought my 09 FLHTC 18 months ago w/5000 miles w/ sec/cruise/abs for $15,000 private sale

If you are willing to go that deep on a used ( maybe hammered - it's a rental) go 20% deeper on a new bike

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-21-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The price isn't a 'steal'....i also would shop for a private sale. Having said that, if it's what you want don't ask us, get to riding :-)

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No way would I buy a rental bike.
Everyone I know,including myself bags on rental cars,quads,wave runners etc.
Now if you can get them to include a warantee,something with unlimited miles and 2 years or something then sure,where do I sign. But that would be the only way.
Go with your gut instinct. Not the one that said buy it right off the bat. The one that brought you to starting this thread.
I say keep shopping. Too much money for a bike that I guarantee was abused.
Jmo

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the insurance, then ripped on my rental bike when I was in Florida. Thing had a couple hundred miles on it, not out of breaking...what do I care, I'm gonna have fun on it.

Just sayin.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, here's one from the other side of the coin.

My Pops bought his used (rental) '11 Ultra in Feb '11 From Las Vegas Harley. I believe it had about 10 grand on the clock. It looked and ran PERFECT, and still does with MANY more miles on it. One trip to Alaska, two trips to Canada, and one x-country (there/back) trip from Ca to PA. As well as many weekend miles now.

Because he bought it in LV, he saved about 3 g (we live in So-Cal). At the time I too was shocked to find out he bought a rental, as most would be. He said unlike the typical rental car places, Harley takes very good care of their rentals, and added that the MoCo sees to that because of the liability issues.

There is nothing wrong with a rental bike "IF" it was serviced and taken care of properly, and "If" the price is right. If you do, opt for the extended warranty.

Oh, almost forgot. My '10 Chevy HHR was a former rental. Bought it almost two years ago with 20g on the clock, I've had ZERO issues with it. Rentals aren't always a bad idea, but do your homework when considering one.

Last edited by Johnny Wolf; 03-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rental bikes are scary to me, as posted above, some people don't treat them well. Also the bike is 3-1/2 years old, if they're willing to give you a warranty, and go down some on the price, it may be a good deal, otherwise I'd keep shopping.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased a 09 SG from a rental fleet in southern CA. The bike was about 8 months old and had just about 6k for mileage. When I purchased mine, used bikes were quite high on prices and I got a two year factory warrenty and saved about 4k from new. I since have put about 25K on the bike with no real issues other than a starter clutch which was last fall. I would say if you get a warrenty and they come down on price a little then go for it. But with the economy the way it is there is plenty of great used bikes out there for good prices. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

I would never buy a rental ANYTHING. 'Cause I know what I do to rental vehicles.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slynchee
Ok, I went to the dealer today and they had a 2009 Street Glide. It had everything I want. ABS, Cruise, Security with 12000 miles. I rode it and my buddy who owns a CVO SG rode it after me. He said it was tight with no issues. Am I crazy to buy a rental bike? BTW, I got them down to 16500 for the bike. It is a great color too, blue. I want to pull the trigger but I am afraid of making a mistake. Curious on your thoughts.
I bought the same setup (ABS Cruise Security) you're looking at a year ago last Aug from a private individual ang gave 1k less.

Quick Reply: Buy former rental street glide