Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring up Garmin

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring up Garmin

I am getting ready to wire up my gps! Ordered a power cord to hard wire it up inside the front fairing, also plan on install one of the two mounts I order today. My question is two fold: 1. I am considering using the power wire from the cigarette lighter and the ground also, wondering if I need to put an inline fuse in there or if the one that controls the cigarette lighter is enough? Also, while I have the fairing off, is there anything other than the braces I should check, clean, etc.

Joe

Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine on lighter. Just used a couple of piggy back style solderless connectors and viola done. And no I didn't do any inline fuse.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is hard-wired to the back of the cigarette lighter as well.The hard wire cable that I purchased has its own fuse..

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hooked mine to the connector off the headlight --- Know of a few that had issues hooking to the cig power (at least on pre-'09's).

Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
Hooked mine to the connector off the headlight --- Know of a few that had issues hooking to the cig power (at least on pre-'09's).
Same here. There is an extra set of leads in the headlight loom, I just crimped some spade connectors on and it works perfectly. The hardwire that I bought for my Garmin came with a fuse and the curcit is protected already as well.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Sandy Mike
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustell
Mine is hard-wired to the back of the cigarette lighter as well.The hard wire cable that I purchased has its own fuse..
Same - Garmin 550 - back of cigarette light, cable has its own fuse. Absolutely no problem happy with the set up

Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

If you are wiring in a fuse- make sure you can get at it on the side of the road, at night, in the rain.

Mike

Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wired mine on the Acc switch with a fuse. It gets power only when Acc switch is ON.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the two connectors not used on the headlight wiring. They are switched (the wire is switched to the ignition switch) and have the factory fuses.

I used a marine grade accessory receptacle and just connected the two wires to the male ends on the receptacle. I then used the cigarette plug that came with the Garmin and plugged it in. I wrapped electrical tape around both to keep them from coming apart and help to keep it water resistant.

I ran the wire out of the handlebar opening and up to the RAM mount following the handlebars. My RAM mount has a small tab that keeps the wire plugged into the Garmin.

It’s a nice clean installation that doesn’t get in the way.

Quick Reply: Wiring up Garmin