Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailbone Soreness - Looking for a Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Tailbone Soreness - Looking for a Solution

I've searched and read and read, but haven't found too much on solving the problem of tailbone pain. I've read countless threads for solutions about monkey-butt and butt numbness. I'm hoping to find a consistent solution for solving my tailbone pain.

I currently have a Mustang wide touring seat with backrest. But just after 30 minutes I can feel my tailbone staring to ache. After an 1Hr/30 min. it's so pain to even stand, I'd almost rather just keep sitting in the saddle then take that first stand off the seat.

I've thought about geting a new seat, contacting MCC, an Airhawk, Alaska Leather, ect. I sat on a Sundowner and Hammock this afternoon. What's different for my issue than many others thread I've read is I dont have monkey-butt or numbness, my back doesn't hurt nor do my shoulders. Just my damn tailbone!

I guess first what I want to understand is what causes tailbone pain? The area that is actually sore rests on the back area of the seat, not the bottom. My tailbone doesn't feel to be resting on the bottom of the seat, certainly not compared to my sit bones.

So anyways, thought I'd through this thread out there since I really have discovered a solution.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read this after searching Tailbone pain on Google.

Pain during sitting or after sitting are symptoms of coccydynia. Interestingly enough, this pain often occurs when sitting on a padded chair and not a hard one. That is because cushioning can cause upward pressure.

Another symptom that occurs in just about every case is severe pain when moving from a sitting to a standing position.

That's exactly my case, when standing. Interesting to read about a soft seat. I think the Mustang is pretty stiff IMO. I was thinking softer would be better....

Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Peronally I would suggest seeing a Doctor and a Chiropractor as soon as possible, don't take chances with your health!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you ever felt a real saddle? They are not soft and are designed for a rider to be in the saddle for hours.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Tincup
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with my tailbone similar to yours, plus pain and numbness in my left leg. Turned out to be a ruptured disc pressing against my sciatic nerve... Had surgery last year and now back in the saddle with little discomfort.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What helps me is highway pegs. I put my feet on them and lock my knees. It lifts my *** a little and pushes my tailbone against the seat, seems to relieve my tailbone. I ride like that for about 5 or 10 minutes and then back to normal. To me it feels like I stopped for a break. But as worth everything YMMV.

Last edited by cdemarse; 03-21-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shift your body angle by lowering the back of the bike an inch or two and rasing the front an inch or two. If your on an ultra with the stock seat, take it off and get something like a road glide seat. I'm 40% service connected disabled with lower spine and left hip problems and this works for me. I use the stock seat only when the wife and I take long trips.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

What typically causes this is where your tailbone hits the seat, I've had this issue before as well. MCC should take care of this for you. Call them and talk about your issues, you may want to have them cut out a small section where your tailbone hits but I'm sure they are the answer and probably the most cost effective. They've done a couple seats for me and they were both great.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a couple of websites that might give you some ideas. http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/comfort.htm
http://www.coccyx.org/coping/cushions.htm

I broke my tail bone a long time ago and lost 215 lbs recently, which apparently made my tail bone stick out more than normal. So I have a lot of pain in the area. I have to have my MC seats hollowed out where my tail bone sits.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

........................ and lost 215 lbs recently............

WOW! Congratulations!

Quick Reply: Tailbone Soreness - Looking for a Solution