Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailbone Soreness - Looking for a Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds strange, but you might also wish to take a look at your handle bars. Sometimes just changing their angle can take a load off your sensitive area.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed, I have the same issue with my seat. I have been researching my *** off looking for another seat. I am just afraid to drop the $$$$'s on a seat and it not work out. I am looking forward to this seat demo program with HD everyone is talking about.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 AM
scooterGdawg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope your figure this out as i have the same thing, however i believe mine is from sitting at work, i actually don't feel near the pain while riding.

I went to the doc, he did some xrays and found nothing.... next doc did a MRI, nothing...left there with the doc saying, it'll pass, take these.. one diclofenac each morning, and it helps a lot........but i don't see it getting solved. I plan to get one of those pillow things i suppose.......

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I get tailbone pain on my sporty. Yesterday I rode 50 miles on it and felt like I needed surgery!

I dont get it on the EGC and I attribute that to a sundowner seat, highway pegs, rider backrest and cruise controll. I can relax my arms and shoulders one at a time and stretch my legs out and change my position as needed

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
I've searched and read and read, but haven't found too much on solving the problem of tailbone pain. I've read countless threads for solutions about monkey-butt and butt numbness. I'm hoping to find a consistent solution for solving my tailbone pain.

I currently have a Mustang wide touring seat with backrest. But just after 30 minutes I can feel my tailbone staring to ache. After an 1Hr/30 min. it's so pain to even stand, I'd almost rather just keep sitting in the saddle then take that first stand off the seat.

I've thought about geting a new seat, contacting MCC, an Airhawk, Alaska Leather, ect. I sat on a Sundowner and Hammock this afternoon. What's different for my issue than many others thread I've read is I dont have monkey-butt or numbness, my back doesn't hurt nor do my shoulders. Just my damn tailbone!

I guess first what I want to understand is what causes tailbone pain? The area that is actually sore rests on the back area of the seat, not the bottom. My tailbone doesn't feel to be resting on the bottom of the seat, certainly not compared to my sit bones.

So anyways, thought I'd through this thread out there since I really have discovered a solution.

Thanks!
I didn't read every post for what others said, but I can tell you first hand cuz I had the same issue... physical therapy. Between work and the bike I developed an some swelling and the pain was there and it started hitting the sciatic nerve, and sometimes it ran down my leg. One night I woke up in so much pain the wife took me to the hospital and they gave me some fantastic meds to help. After that I went for therapy on my back. Did stretches, inversion table, Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators (TENS)pain relief device, and after a few months I felt better. I tried different seats, one of those Butt Buffers, highway pegs in different spots during that time and nothing worked but therapy.

I also had to change up my gym routine because if I did something like a military press, even on a machine, it put too much weight on that area and it would give me pain later. And twice as long stretching to include things I did at therapy.

My therapist sent me to a guy to possibly get a cortisone injection to help relieve some pressure so I could do more of the therapy and the guy denied it cuz he deduced I had a high pain tolerance and should just do therapy. So eventually it went away but it would have been nice to not have the pain while I did therapy..***** Dr...LOL

Good luck and I hope you get rid of it.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I have the same problem. I am short 5'6" but i weigh 270 and have no butt, I have tried a bunch of seats and still have the problem. I have carved on my stock until it doesn't even look like the original. I finally think I figured out the cure for us that have that problem but don't know what to do about it.
I believe that where the pressure comes from is that the seat cover is one piece meaning that when you sit on the seat the down pressure pulls the vinyl cover tight and gets tight against your tail bone causing the cover to put extra pressure on your TB.
I pulled the cover off of my stock seat and cut the foam at the back so that the bottom of the seat settles separate from the back and rode it that way and didn't get the pressure but haven't figured how to put the cover back on in two pieces.
I have been looking at the Saddleman Road Sofa but like you am tired of spending money on seats just to have them not work.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have same problem. Buy an Air Hawk motorcycle cushion. It has inflatable bladders which spread out pressure, used by truck and cab drivers. You can buy on ebay or direct from company, I believe about $200. They have one made for motorcyle seat which can be removed from seat when not in use. I think company name on web is Roho. It completely does away with my tailbone problem. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. No meat on the rear is what causes mine(inherited). I have tried the Airhawk, and it does work, but it shoots me up in the air another inch or so and complicates mounting/dismounting the bike. I believe the right backrest that can get you away from the back of the seat will help as well. Another seat that I've looked at but haven't tried, are the Saddlemen Explorers. Their back and bottom of the seat compress seperately and are supposed to relieve tailbone pressure, but not a cheap option.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
I believe that where the pressure comes from is that the seat cover is one piece meaning that when you sit on the seat the down pressure pulls the vinyl cover tight and gets tight against your tail bone causing the cover to put extra pressure on your TB.
This AM while I was driving I thought the same thing. Why can I do 15 hours in a car and be just fine? The seat in a car has the separation between the bottom and back. Just the opposite of a motorcycle seat as you described.

My buddy just bought a limited last week and his stock seat has a cut out are near the tailbone. He says he has no troubles at all now.

Here's a pic of the seat I found online, not the best but you can see the split.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twillis
I have the same problem. No meat on the rear is what causes mine(inherited). I have tried the Airhawk, and it does work, but it shoots me up in the air another inch or so and complicates mounting/dismounting the bike.
Thanks Twillis,

I was curious about how much an AH would raise you in the seat.

Quick Reply: Tailbone Soreness - Looking for a Solution