Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Poster, New Rider, Old Man

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome!!! Congratulations and welcome back!!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
#1, sorry about the wife
#2 welcome to the forum
#3 take the MSF course
#4 there's alot more a-holes out there, and they are trying to kill you
#5 be safe and have fun. ride it until the tires fall off.
That pretty much sums it up! And Welcome from Virginia!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
myron243
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome, kind thoughts and advice. I forgot to mention (see, old man) that I enrolled in the class yesterday when I bought my bike.

I have 2 sons that ride and the submarine vets group I belong to has several riders so I'll not be alone.

Matt, guess I beat you. I laid mine down today in the neighbors yard across the street. So much rain down here the crash bar buried up about 8 inches. But I too had seen the video. Grasped the left grip, butt against the seat and started grunting. And grunting. And... About then as I was wondering where in the world that 98 pound girl was the garbage truck came along and the 2 guys helped me get it up.

Mike, I bought it at Kingwood Harley. I'm all the way in the back off Northpark and Rock Springs.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I am actually worried a little for your safety. Those HD sales guys have a way of selling you when you didn't even go there to buy.

You said you were going to take the MSF. Well, there are three versions of that course...beginner, intermediate, then advanced. The beginner course will provide Honda 250cc bikes (usually) and you must ride them during the course. The intermediate requires you to use your own bike.

Read David Hough's (pronounced huff's) book "Proficient Motorcycling" before you start riding. Then spend about a week in empty school parking lots performing riding and braking exercises.

Not trying to be a safety sam here, but I want you to enjoy the bike, yet understand that a 900 pound motorcycle is way different then the light metrics of years ago.
Riding with a group is NOT the answer right now for you. You need to get grounded in your own abilities before you get out on the road.

Read that book first. Then practice a lot. I wish you all the best and hope you really enjoy that new ride. Wear all of the gear all of the time. Riding to look cool is childish, adolescent bullshit. If you have never hit the asphalt, trust me, you will never want to repeat it.

Ride smart and you will ride safe.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
myron243
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice Joe. I appreciate folks who are trying to help me. I just ordered the Nook version of Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" and will start reading tonight. And I had already told my son that Sunday when the dealer is closed he can ride the bike there for me and I can use the nice, big, empty parking lot. Probably will do it Monday as well because they are closed Monday too.

And I don't plan on riding with a group for several months. But they will be there when I'm ready to ride with 2 or 3 others. Since I'm retired I can ride every day if the weather permits. And I'm looking forward to getting the skills to allow me several more years of a great hobby.

The class I am enrolled in is the beginner's. I plan on taking all 3.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RANGER73
#1, sorry about the wife
#2 welcome to the forum
#3 take the MSF course
#4 there's alot more a-holes out there, and they are trying to kill you
#5 be safe and have fun. ride it until the tires fall off.
+1!

What he said!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 AM
mikesth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myron243
Thanks for the advice Joe. I appreciate folks who are trying to help me. I just ordered the Nook version of Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" and will start reading tonight. And I had already told my son that Sunday when the dealer is closed he can ride the bike there for me and I can use the nice, big, empty parking lot. Probably will do it Monday as well because they are closed Monday too.

And I don't plan on riding with a group for several months. But they will be there when I'm ready to ride with 2 or 3 others. Since I'm retired I can ride every day if the weather permits. And I'm looking forward to getting the skills to allow me several more years of a great hobby.

The class I am enrolled in is the beginner's. I plan on taking all 3.
Happy for you - FINALLY, someone is doing it the smart way without rushing. Sometimes we don't get another chance so it's best to take your time and enjoy the experience. Hat's off to you for doing it right

Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the new bike and the best advise is to take a refresher course - never hurts.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 368 Posts

Congratulations stereotypicaly harley guy (jk)

Have fun with the new ride. And riding alone is alot better than riding with a group. You dont have to worry about other peoples riding style and having to adjust to theirs.

Take it easy

Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your loss. I hope you get to enjoy many years of riding with your son. That is awesome.

Quick Reply: New Poster, New Rider, Old Man