Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Street Glide Ape Install Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:43 AM
eddiepoindexter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed

Old 01-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Murphy thanks for the write up. I am about half way through with my install right now.

For everyone... I think I read somebody posted that they enlarged the holes on the bars for the internal wiring but I can't seem to find that thread. I have a set of LA Choppers Twin Peaks bars and the exit hole at the base of the bars is on oval about 1 inch length wise and around a centimeter the other way. I have the left side wires and the TBW wires through but am having some difficulty getting the right side wires through. I am using the method of putting shrink tube on the end of my wires with some excess on the end and flatting that out. Then folding it over on itself and running my string through that and pulling it through that way. One thing that keeps happening (and this is at fault/ laziness of my own for using 550 cord (parachute cord) guts (one strand) for my string) is that the string keeps breaking. On my third (and last for tonight) attempt, I got the tip of my shrink tube excess out of the exit but my shrink tube came off while pulling and I couldn't reach my wires anymore.

Should I just keep trying using a stronger string/ wire/ fishing line? Or try another method like enlarging the exit hole a little? I know a lot has to do with the TBW wires already being in there. Should I try to do the switch wires and the TBW wires in the same shot, or keep doing it the way I am?

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethcat
Murphy thanks for the write up. I am about half way through with my install right now.

For everyone... I think I read somebody posted that they enlarged the holes on the bars for the internal wiring but I can't seem to find that thread. I have a set of LA Choppers Twin Peaks bars and the exit hole at the base of the bars is on oval about 1 inch length wise and around a centimeter the other way. I have the left side wires and the TBW wires through but am having some difficulty getting the right side wires through. I am using the method of putting shrink tube on the end of my wires with some excess on the end and flatting that out. Then folding it over on itself and running my string through that and pulling it through that way. One thing that keeps happening (and this is at fault/ laziness of my own for using 550 cord (parachute cord) guts (one strand) for my string) is that the string keeps breaking. On my third (and last for tonight) attempt, I got the tip of my shrink tube excess out of the exit but my shrink tube came off while pulling and I couldn't reach my wires anymore.

Should I just keep trying using a stronger string/ wire/ fishing line? Or try another method like enlarging the exit hole a little? I know a lot has to do with the TBW wires already being in there. Should I try to do the switch wires and the TBW wires in the same shot, or keep doing it the way I am?

Thanks!
Did you cut the green connecter out and splice the wires or get the cvo tbw? The green plug is a pita ,what I did got the cvo tbw and got tbw wires started then the control wires and pulled both at the same time I used baby powder also to help get the wires through

Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethcat

Thanks!
Everybody has different methods to pulling wires. Here is mine. I used weed-whacker wire. It's thick enough to not break. I staggered my wires and used 3M black electrical tape. I folded the end of the wire on top of its self after I taped some of it. This made a sort of hook out of the wire so it would not pull out. Also, get some wire lube from Home Depot... or where ever... It is in the electrical section. Makes pulling wires a lot easier. I used the pull-push method. I would have a friend help me on this. I would pull a little bit of tension as my friend would push the wires from the grip side. Basicly, he pushed the wires in. They were not pulled in. On my right side I pulled the TBW (with green plug taped really good separately), Power Vision cable, and the stock cables. I cut off the stock heat shrink tube and used my own.. Hope this helps. PM if you want my phone number and I will be more than willing to speak with you.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by murph
Everybody has different methods to pulling wires. Here is mine. I used weed-whacker wire. It's thick enough to not break. I staggered my wires and used 3M black electrical tape. I folded the end of the wire on top of its self after I taped some of it. This made a sort of hook out of the wire so it would not pull out. Also, get some wire lube from Home Depot... or where ever... It is in the electrical section. Makes pulling wires a lot easier. I used the pull-push method. I would have a friend help me on this. I would pull a little bit of tension as my friend would push the wires from the grip side. Basicly, he pushed the wires in. They were not pulled in. On my right side I pulled the TBW (with green plug taped really good separately), Power Vision cable, and the stock cables. I cut off the stock heat shrink tube and used my own.. Hope this helps. PM if you want my phone number and I will be more than willing to speak with you.
Crimson, Murph,

thanks for the tips. Today after work I tried again successfully. I still used Para cord gut but this time I used a locking knot on one of the wires and wrapped it around the entire bundle. Then used the shrink tube with excess tongue method on the end. I got them through first time (although an hour and a half later). I did not do anything with the TBW green plug despite everyone's warnings. At one point i was very worried that i would not be able to get the last few inches because of the plug but i managed to make it.

Too cold and late to finish it tonight. Will continue tomorrow after work.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Tracerbob
Cruiser
Default Here's how I did it

My install was for a set of Burly bars, somewhat easier than yours but the problem was just the same. I separated the wires into groups of four, then used heat shrink to make five individual groups of wire. For string I used some type of thin nylon stuff. I ran five strings through bar and secured each one to a heat shrunk wire bundle with electrical tape with at least two inches sticking out the other side of the tape. I then folded the string back over the tape and applied more tape to secure. Now here's the fun part. I coated everything with silicone grease and started pulling/pushing each wire group in at intervals of four inches. That way they are not trying to occupy the same space at the same time and they exited in a more manageable size. Hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser

Hey guys,

finished them up last Friday but I've been busy with work and stuff to get on the forum. Thanks to Murph and everyone else for the tips.

Instead of using Murph's trick for the ignition tool, I used copper pipe to create mine. I stole the idea from someone else that posted a how to on another forum.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Street Glide Ape Install Tutorial-wp_20140110_23_33_48_pro.jpg   2012 Street Glide Ape Install Tutorial-wp_20140104_19_27_20_pro.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 PM
dw1050
Stage I

Awesome looking bike and great post, Murph. I am in the middle of putting 576's on my Street Glide. Wrapped the wires with friction tape and baby powder along with a lead weight tied to fishing line helped get them through the bars with a lot of time, patience, and whiskey. Got my +8 clutch cable installed. Did you route yours in front of the engine guard? Looks like the only way to make it work for me. Fished the new cable in next to the stock one behind the engine guard before removing and seemed way too tight that way. What brand cable and brake line did you use? I went with the Black Pearl Magnum cable but since mine is ABS, not sure if I want to spend the money on their two piece brake line from the module to the master cyl.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dw1050
What brand cable and brake line did you use? I went with the Black Pearl Magnum cable but since mine is ABS, not sure if I want to spend the money on their two piece brake line from the module to the master cyl.
I also have the Black Pearl Magnum cables. However, I replaced upper and lower on my brake line. I just had my local HD bleed the lines with their machine because mine is also ABS.

I ended up changing my clutch cable from +8 to +10. I wanted my cable routed through the fairing. +8 was just too tight for me. It worked, but the +10 works better.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! !!

Quick Reply: 2012 Street Glide Ape Install Tutorial