Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone scrape when banking hard in a turn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 PM
rc4life
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
An interesting thing on scarping floorboards......when u hear the scrape u are reminded u r at the max lean angle.

Fact is, you are not. But you should heed the advice NOT to lean any further.

Upon leaning further, you can actually scrape the floorboard support. NOT smart since if u put too much pressure on the floorboard support, I am very sure you will start to lift the pressure off the rear tire basically kicking the rear out and u go down.

For what it is worth, it took me 3-4 months to STOP scraping (although I occasionally still do accidentally) so I am suggesting don't start to do it regularly. It is FUN! But IMHO, not worth screwing with getting that close to the max lean angle due to possible consequences.

BuzzCap7

From my post above you can see I scrap, alot. I never really pay attention to it any more but when I go further into a corner what your saying definitely happens. When I let up is when I can feel the rear end start washing out, also going that far scrubs alot of speed off and good throttle control is key so you dont make the washing out rear end problem even worse. I wish some one would make pegs/ boards that would allow me to go further. I want to run my bike at a moto gp track thats just down the road but the scrapping will keep me from actually keeping a decent speed

Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rc4life
From my post above you can see I scrap, alot. I never really pay attention to it any more but when I go further into a corner what your saying definitely happens. When I let up is when I can feel the rear end start washing out, also going that far scrubs alot of speed off and good throttle control is key so you dont make the washing out rear end problem even worse. I wish some one would make pegs/ boards that would allow me to go further. I want to run my bike at a moto gp track thats just down the road but the scrapping will keep me from actually keeping a decent speed
tracks are pretty strict around me. sent out "the commandments".
cancelled my play day.

Motorcycle and Riding Gear Requirements
Motorcycle Requirements

Motorcycle must appropriate for high performance track riding. Cruisers and large touring bikes are not acceptable.
All bikes must pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike does not pass tech inspection, you will not receive a refund. It is your responsibility to have your bike prepared prior to riding on the race track.
Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 50%+ of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. We will have on site tire service at most events, so if your tires don't pass, you may have the opportunity to put on replacement tires to pass tech. Please contact us to confirm tire service will be available at your event.
All glass, headlight, turn signals, Side mirrors, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed.
We recommend but do not require removal of center stands. Side Stand / Kick Stand must zip tied in the up position or removed.
All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.
All riders must use water, water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Automotive ethyl glycol based coolants are not allowed.
All valve stems must have caps.
Wheel balance weights must be well secured and duct taping is required.
License plates must be removed.
All Riders must safety wire oil drain plugs, oil filter, oil fill caps and Radiator Cap. ** Please note that if you spill oil on the track your day is over. Don't know how to saftey wire? The please check out this link, http://www.recreationalflying.com/tu...safetying.html

Riding Gear Requirements
Damage free BSI,ECE-2205, DOT or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield.
Riding boots that fully cover the ankle.
Gauntlet style gloves with full wrist coverage.
One or two piece leathers. Two piece leather suits must zip together. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are not acceptable.
All riders are required to wear Hard Shell back protectors. Soft back pads sewn into suits are not enough. Chest Protectors are not required but recommend.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rc4life
Take a school on a track type bike, don't waste your time on an HD floorboard equipped bike. Yamaha has a great one. It is at Arizona Motorsports Park.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:01 PM
TX_Jester
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drag floorboards pretty regular when I get tight in turns on my Street Glide

Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

Originally Posted by DJFireUSA
Actually letting off the throttle would make it worse. He should have moved his entire body to the inside of the corner and as far off centerline of the bike as possible.
Correct. The intent is to slow down and straighten up. Not slow down only for those results will be unpleasant.

Good catch, I should have been clearer.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJFireUSA
An attempt to get us back on track...

How many of you who drag notice the board hitting before the board's rear support?
At parking lot speeds, when transitioning fast, the bike will land hard on the rear support. If I'm decreasing my radius either fast or slow, the board will normally scrape before the mount.

As others have said, it's not a big deal.....it's like ABS in a car. If you've never felt it before, it can be startling. It's a good idea to push your vehicle to the limit if for no other reason than to know where that limit is and how the vehicle is going to react. I'd suggest doing this in the proper environment. Same goes for the ABS on our bikes.....if you've never experienced it, I'd suggest doing so.

Scraping the boards is no biggie, but be warned it DOES mean the bike is nearing it's limit. As others have pointed out, pushing the bike past that point risks unloading the rear tire which can lead to a low side accident like the one in the video posted earlier in the thread.

Last edited by dgreen1069; 01-29-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 PM
rc4life
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette
tracks are pretty strict around me. sent out "the commandments".
cancelled my play day.

Motorcycle and Riding Gear Requirements
Motorcycle Requirements

Motorcycle must appropriate for high performance track riding. Cruisers and large touring bikes are not acceptable.
All bikes must pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike does not pass tech inspection, you will not receive a refund. It is your responsibility to have your bike prepared prior to riding on the race track.
Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 50%+ of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. We will have on site tire service at most events, so if your tires don't pass, you may have the opportunity to put on replacement tires to pass tech. Please contact us to confirm tire service will be available at your event.
All glass, headlight, turn signals, Side mirrors, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed.
We recommend but do not require removal of center stands. Side Stand / Kick Stand must zip tied in the up position or removed.
All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.
All riders must use water, water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Automotive ethyl glycol based coolants are not allowed.
All valve stems must have caps.
Wheel balance weights must be well secured and duct taping is required.
License plates must be removed.
All Riders must safety wire oil drain plugs, oil filter, oil fill caps and Radiator Cap. ** Please note that if you spill oil on the track your day is over. Don't know how to saftey wire? The please check out this link, http://www.recreationalflying.com/tu...safetying.html

Riding Gear Requirements
Damage free BSI,ECE-2205, DOT or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield.
Riding boots that fully cover the ankle.
Gauntlet style gloves with full wrist coverage.
One or two piece leathers. Two piece leather suits must zip together. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are not acceptable.
All riders are required to wear Hard Shell back protectors. Soft back pads sewn into suits are not enough. Chest Protectors are not required but recommend.
Holy cow thats pretty strict! the only requirement from our track is that all blinkers and lights need to be taped over. Then there is coolant requirements for liquid cooled bikes, but that's pretty much it.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 AM
stephtell
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

On my FXDX with forward controls the left forward control was getting shorter every ride...used to scrape that all the time and the tyres showed that it was right at the very limit at that.

Now on the ultra I rarely scrape anything...on occasion the kickstand but nothing else.

Even though the seating position on the ultra is better for cornering that on the FXDX, it feels 'scarier' to lean it over??

I'm never sure how far I can lean it over before it decides to let go...think I'll just start leaning it over on mini-roundabouts and see what happens...if I can deliberatly scrape it anytime I like then atleast I'll have my warning system in place!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
digger58
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All the time, more left side than right for some reason. I tend to be a bit aggressive I am told