Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage I, StageII

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Stage I, StageII

1550 Stage II Race.....

Old 12-25-2006, 11:04 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Arizona

had 10.25:1 pistons put in it

PS: Should I use premium fuel in this motor? I'm guessing "yes" is the answer, but curious to hear from others.
Yes...the two things that dictate octane is compression and timing, you have a lot of compressionfor astreet engine, you should never use anything less then premium.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:20 PM
coolnite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BaggerDave, here is a more easily understandable explanation.

This may start some controversy about the exact meaning of Stage I, II & III but here goes.

A stock bike isn't "Stage" anything, some people refer to it as Stage 0. This is what your Harley is when you buy it. A lot of folks say that the stock performance (or lack thereof) of HD bikes is due to EPA restrictions. While it is true that the MoCo must adhere to the EPA's rules, there are many manufacturers that produce bikes with better stock performance than HD. A huge part of Harley's success lies in the sale of Extra Parts and Accessories and Extra Performance Add-ons. It is pretty obvious that the HD Marketing Dept is in control of the business plan. I would venture to say that Harley owners spend more on their bikes "after the sale" than any other manufacturer. It's all part of HD's plan and it's what we "signed up for" when we bought a Harley. So the next time you hear someone blaming the EPA remember what it really "stands for".

Stage I - Also known as "The Harley Tax" is a free flow air cleaner, free flow exhaust, re-jetting the carb or a remap for the EFI, and optionally an EFI upgrade.

The are lots of choices for free flow air cleaner upgrades; SEAC - Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner and K&N are two popular manufacturers that I have used. There are many other good brands. Do your homework. You are looking for two things; high air flow (CFM) and clean air. Your pals HP and Torque don't care about the cost or looks of your new air cleaner. If you plan to stop at Stage I, any good free flow air cleaner will work and you'll probably never see the difference on the Dyno. However, if you plan to go to Stage III at a later time, you want to make the right decision and choose CFM over Bling.

There are more choices for free flow exhaust than will fit on this forum. The two components to look at are pipes and mufflers. The low-cost alternative is to stick with the stock HD pipes and get after-market mufflers or "Slip-Ons". There are many good choices. The second alternative is to replace the entire exhaust system including the mufflers. Many people do this to change the look and performance of their bike; True Duals, 2-into-1, Radius, etc. The third alternative is straight pipes - AKA Drag Pipes. "Loud Pipes Save Lives". There are many things to consider with an exhaust system upgrade; volume (noise to some), tone, rumble, bark, looks and performance. There is a large difference in performance among the types of exhaust systems (more than the Air Cleaner choice). The 2-into-1 configuration is arguably the best all around performance pipe, best friends with your pals HP and Torque. The Drag Pipe is great for drag racing and anything over 4000 RPM but it will suck 20% - 30% of your power at cruising speeds. Just as in the Air Cleaner discussion, if you plan to stop at Stage I, there are several good choices to complement your riding style and you'll probably see little difference on the Dyno. However, if you plan to go to Stage III at a later time, you want to make the right decision now or buy another exhaust system later. I have seen Stage III Twin Cam gains of 12 ft/lbs of torque on just an exhaust system change. I know this is an extreme example but I'm trying to make a point. It was on a 2004 RK Custom "1550" build, where a high dollar, name brand, after market exhaust system was removed in favor of a SuperTrap 2-into-1.
&nbs

Old 12-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks alot to all of you, I look forward to learning ALOT from you all here. I'm very pleased and impressed with my Electra Glide so far - about 350 miles in 2 days and loving it!

PS: Premium fuel it is! Thanks...

Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 PM
Born2cure
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Coolnight very informative.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post