Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Of all the bonehead effin' things to do!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012 | 02:14 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

Sorry to read your story but like most can totally identify with your situation. Put my seat back on in bad light in the garage one night recently, and next time I took it off in some good light and behold a nice long scratch and small nick where I had obviously missed with the rear latch tab assembly, No Problem as long as I never go to a solo seat , so you are not alone in the beat yourself afterward dept, I strongly suspect all reading your post can identify....and yes it can always be worse. Hey good luck on the back surgery if I read correctly, guess some down time is coming ? Hope things go well. Scott

Old 03-21-2012 | 02:37 PM
Garemlin
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Ridetek Lidcovers just ordered. They look much better than the HD or Mustang ones IMO.

Old 03-21-2012 | 03:13 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior

Time for stretched bags!

Old 03-21-2012 | 03:25 PM
Garemlin
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
Time for stretched bags!

LOL. I am good about no-permission purchase. But I am sure the wife would question why I needed two new bags for one scratched lid. LOL

Old 03-21-2012 | 04:58 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Sorry to hear of your mishap and hope it heals quickly!

When I remove mine I close the lids and put them of the floor on a padded surface 'back to back' (against each others brackets) for a more stable support than sitting 'alone'.

Old 03-21-2012 | 07:30 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Well now that the adrenalin has worn off I went and took a closer look. The lid took the brunt of the damage. Prolly not repairable. I'll cover them for now. The body has some light scratches that look like they may buff out. Gonna take it over to my local dealer and see what their detailer thinks. This guy is top notch. Got out some pre-delivery scratches that I didn't think would come out. If I try to mess will it I'm liable to do more damage than good.
There was a discussion on the forum (I think it was) of a lot of saddlebag lids being for sale on EBay because of people installing lids with speakers in them and selling the stock ones. I haven’t looked but you might get lucky and find a color match for a reasonable price.

Old 03-21-2012 | 08:04 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Just exactly where was your Noggin at when you had a major brain fart?

Old 03-21-2012 | 08:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Sounds like a good excuse to buy HD's new color-matched saddlebag speaker lids and upgrade the bike's audio--every black cloud has a silver lining.

Carl

Old 03-21-2012 | 08:50 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Sorry bout the self inflicted wounds on the scoot. They are the worst wounds to get over. I speak from experience unfortunately. Time to get extended bags and some 6x9 speaker lids. Then sell the OLD BAGS and recoup some of the cash.

Old 03-21-2012 | 08:53 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Will only add you are not the only one to ever do this ..

Quick Reply: Of all the bonehead effin' things to do!!!!!