Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork drain bolt question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:55 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork drain bolt question.

My son got me a set of chrome fork drian bolts for Christmas. I have never messed with the forks before. If I raise the front wheel off the ground will I loose fork oil when the original screw is removed or will I be able to screw the old out & put the new chrome ones in without loss of fluid? Has anyone done this before? How did you do it? They camewith no directions at all.

Thanks for your replys,

Mike

Old 12-25-2006, 12:55 AM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Default RE: Fork drain bolt question.

I must have the only set of these Harley has ever sold! No ideas from ayone?

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 12-25-2006, 01:12 AM
MiniMe
Road Master

Yes, you will lose fork oil. Not as much if you were to take off the top caps. Make sure you buy new (or they may come with) new crush washers. It's important that you have your fork oil at the proper level.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:36 AM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: strtgld

Yes, you will lose fork oil. Not as much if you were to take off the top caps. Make sure you buy new (or they may come with) new crush washers. It's important that you have your fork oil at the proper level.
Thank you for your reply!

Mike

Old 12-25-2006, 12:12 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I actually have mine off right now doing a slider replacement. If you are talking the little phillips screw drain near the bottom of the slider you should be able to loosen the old one, pull it out slowly and very quickly put the new one in. If you do it quick enough, you're not going to loose enough to be concerned. If you do loose alot, say 2-3 ounces you'll need to add some which is easy but time consuming. I know how to do that on your Glide if thats the bike your talking about.... takes some time.

lp

Old 12-25-2006, 01:31 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: lp

I actually have mine off right now doing a slider replacement. If you are talking the little phillips screw drain near the bottom of the slider you should be able to loosen the old one, pull it out slowly and very quickly put the new one in. If you do it quick enough, you're not going to loose enough to be concerned. If you do loose alot, say 2-3 ounces you'll need to add some which is easy but time consuming. I know how to do that on your Glide if thats the bike your talking about.... takes some time.

lp
Yes Sir, That is exactly what I am talking about. I was hoping to do just as you stated but was wanting some reassurance from someone who might have already done it. In my mind with no way for air to get in except for when I pull the plug, it should hold the fluid as long as there is no pressure inside. Lifting the front wheel off the ground should give me the right conditions to do so.

Thank you for your reply.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 12-25-2006, 02:05 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

Do it fast and you should be alright.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:43 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Yeah I was going to add you want to loosen the screws on the ground (don't take all the way out), then jack the bike up and try the quick exchange. Don't worry about air. Theres air in there already.

It's no big deal to add more if you end up loosing alot and need to add more. On a Glide you just follow the ignition lock removal, and then take out the two screws to remove the bottom part of the inside fairing (the plastic cover where the switches are). Once that isremoved you'll see the two top caps for the forks. Even though there does not look to be much room all you need is channel locks to just get in there and turn the caps. They came off real easy. Jack up the bike, remove the caps andthen remove the bottom drain. Let all the fluid pour out. When thats done cap the bottoms and poor in the recommended amount of fluid through the top. Recap the top offorks and reverse the procedure and you're done. Easy, but like I said, kinda time consuming.

Merry Christmas!

lp

Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

Changed out the drain bolts for the chrome ones today while working on installing my new polished front rotors. I lost about 2 drops on the left side and maybe 4 on the right side due to my retarded left hand not working as well as my right hand.[:@]

Thanks guys for your replys & help.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 12-26-2006, 09:15 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: StreetGlide2006

Changed out the drain bolts for the chrome ones today while working on installing my new polished front rotors. I lost about 2 drops on the left side and maybe 4 on the right side due to my retarded left hand not working as well as my right hand.[:@]

Thanks guys for your replys & help.

Ride Safe,

Mike
That's less than I though you would loose. Glad you got it.