Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does a oil pump gear break?? and keyway fall off

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
harley_guy1995
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does a oil pump gear break?? and keyway fall off

ok.. so getting a little frusterated with this guy working on my bike...

so i put a ton of money into my motor clutch and primary... and after doing everything in the inner primary the other day i got 2 miles down the road and my bike died...

this is what he said happend...

the oil pump gear cracked or broke and the keyway? fell off not allowing the cam to turn and killed the motor while the valves were open allowing the piston to hit a couple valves and bend a pushrod in the front cyilinder...

my question is... how does the keyway fall off because the oil pump gear cracked or broke?

thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM
BigJimmy
Advanced

Not sure of the why it broke, but weakest spot on a gear is where the shaft key is broached in it.
It could have had a manufacturing defect, or something got in a bind causing the gear to break at it's weak spot.
I've seen this often in my business with hydraulic gear pump failures.

Sorry for your bad news.

Last edited by BigJimmy; 03-20-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been through this on my Shovels, I gaurantee you something got between the oilpump gears to cause this, and it don't take much. Typically the woodruff key gets sheared in my experience, but it's probably not the first time a gear broke instead.
When this happened to me I went over the inside of the engine with a magnet and found the culprit(s). Drove me nuts, I couldn't figure where it came from, talked to the old owner (who's a friend), "oh yeah, there was a time when I grenaded the generator shaft". He obviously left metal bits for the oil pump to find years later.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM
harley_guy1995
Advanced

yea well the kicker here is that the motor had just been completly rebuilt about 3000 miles ago.. crank, cylinders, heads everything... its just weird.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

That sucks!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like something got in there, a metal fragment from somewhere. The key fell out as a result of the gear breaking. A small chip of metal would easily break the oil pump gear up, sort of a mechanical advantage working against it, something has to give, the gear is the weak link.
The same thing happened to my shovelhead, traced the problem back to a starter ring gear fragment getting back to the pump. Of coarse Harleys don't scavange oil from the primary any more so that's not your issue. But it's likely somewhere before the pump, look very close and you will see.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
harley_guy1995
Advanced

is there any way that some parts of the magnets in the rotor would have gotten in there? i just put about 800 into the inner primary because that the magnets broke in there and took out a bunch of stuff...

Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

just bad luck...

Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_guy1995
is there any way that some parts of the magnets in the rotor would have gotten in there? i just put about 800 into the inner primary because that the magnets broke in there and took out a bunch of stuff...
Parts from the rotor would have to travel through the crank bearing and seal to get into the motor. Was the seal intact or was it part of the stuff taken out?

The fact that you rotor went and now the oil pump suggests the crank run out is excessive. Did you check it when you were into the stator?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 AM
harley_guy1995
Advanced

im assuming it wasnt checked... i just spent 800 on this crank... what does the run out mean

Quick Reply: how does a oil pump gear break?? and keyway fall off