Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
Could I run 4 Polk MM651's (2 in fairing, 2 in lowers) using only one PBR300x2 amp? Or would I need 2 amps?
You could. The x2 amp is good for 2ohm operation so, just wire the speakers in series and you're good to go!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barkingspud
You could. The x2 amp is good for 2ohm operation so, just wire the speakers in series and you're good to go!

Great, now I just need to find out what "in series" means .... lol

Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
barkingspud
Cruiser

Originally Posted by trnewman
Great, now I just need to find out what "in series" means .... lol
Sorry...I meant Parallel.

http://www.usspeaker.com/speaker%20wiring-1.htm

I am using two ohm speakers in my fairing and lowers. I have them wired in series to make them 4 ohm to the amplifier. You would wire your 4 ohm speakers in parallel on each side making 2 ohm to the RFD300x2 amp.

In a nutshell parallel wiring is just positive to positive and negative to negative. Easy Peasy.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barkingspud
Sorry...I meant Parallel.

http://www.usspeaker.com/speaker%20wiring-1.htm

I am using two ohm speakers in my fairing and lowers. I have them wired in series to make them 4 ohm to the amplifier. You would wire your 4 ohm speakers in parallel on each side making 2 ohm to the RFD300x2 amp.

In a nutshell parallel wiring is just positive to positive and negative to negative. Easy Peasy.
Now I am confused...the MM651's are 2 ohm so according to the wiring diagram I would want to wire in a series to make them 4ohm to the amp. I assume a 2ohm amp (pbr300x2) can handle the 4 ohms?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
teester
Intermediate

Unless they've changed, the MM651's are 2.7 ohms. Paralleling them gives you 1.35 ohms which most amps won't like at high volume.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

I know this is an older post but I was hoping to get some straight info. I have been running the Polk MM651 speakers in the fairing and the the HogTune pods / speakers on the tourpak however I will be changing those over to the MM651 speakers as well. The tourpak is removable but it is used at times. I'm not looking to add any other speakers other than what I currently have. Based on my setup what would be the best amplifier to get for mounting inside the fairing that would handle the (2) 2.7 ohm speakers in the fairing along with the sometime usage of the tourpak? Would I be looking for a 2-channel, 4-channel, 2-ohm, 4-ohm......?? Right now I'm not being brand specific but mainly which type.

Thanks much,
Brian

Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cohiba_Joe
I know this is an older post but I was hoping to get some straight info. I have been running the Polk MM651 speakers in the fairing and the the HogTune pods / speakers on the tourpak however I will be changing those over to the MM651 speakers as well. The tourpak is removable but it is used at times. I'm not looking to add any other speakers other than what I currently have. Based on my setup what would be the best amplifier to get for mounting inside the fairing that would handle the (2) 2.7 ohm speakers in the fairing along with the sometime usage of the tourpak? Would I be looking for a 2-channel, 4-channel, 2-ohm, 4-ohm......?? Right now I'm not being brand specific but mainly which type.

Thanks much,
Brian
These amps can handle it quite well and i wouldnt hesitate on buying any of them ( at the right price of course). Find wich ever one is cheaper and play it loud.....
JL Audio 400.4
ARC 4 channel
J&M 4 Channel
Wet Sounds i think has a 4 channel that fits inside the fairing as well.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

I've had Hogtunes, the ARC upgrade, Hertz Titan II, and now JL Audio. Had only 4 speakers before. All amplified. I now have JLs all the way around --- 6 of them --- 2 in the lowers too. JL amp in the tourpak. Great sound & can turn them WAY up. If you're looking for something less spendy, I'd go back to the Hertz Titans. Hogtunes wasn't any big deal. You can do alot better than Hogtunes. JM John is with JM speakers, so what else is he gonna say about JMs?!!! Go for quality loud, and don't try to get bass. You won't here much of it over 45 or 50 anyway! I used to have a Woofpak subwoofer in the tourpak, and it sounded great at curbside ---- nicer than alot of cars, but I couldn't hear much bass at anything over 50. I could feel the thump though!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 PM
WingMan12
Novice
Default Kicker Speakers..

Originally Posted by Cornel
I just installed the Kicker PS5250 fairing speakers. They are not amplified, but sound real good nonetheless. They do not distort like the stock speakers.

I was curious of how you feel about this speakers since you have had them a bit. I am a big fan of that brand. How (if able) would you compare them to other brands?

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 AM
5TIME
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if the MM651s fit under the stock CVO fairing lower grills?

Quick Reply: Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers