Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM
rg567
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I installed the new Polk MM651s today, heres the review...

Stock vs. Hogtunes Hogtunes were a nice improvement. Both more volume and more clarity. A nice upgrade for the money and ease of installation.

50w rms amp added with Hogtunes speakers Sounds better than without the amp, even with the gain turned way down. Its now obvious that I need a little more speaker as the Hogtunes are breaking up at high volumes.

Polk MM651(with amp) vs Hogtunes (with amp) The Polks definitely rock. Quite a bit louder and clearer than the Hogtunes. These speakers really sound great and seem to be worthy of the positive reviews that I have been reading. I am now happy with my system and plan to leave things alone.....for a while at least...

Last edited by rg567; 04-07-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keith2323
I like the J&M's. 100% water proof, they back there speakers up if you blow them for what ever reason too. Why do i like them u ask???, they play load so u can here them at 80 + MPH. that is with a RC125.2 mini amp. u gota have a amp or you are missing out. Ive run hogtunes, eclipse ,polk DXI 650, kicker ks 6.5 components and then the J&M. I dint want to spend the money and ended up spending more in the long run. Now im gona change out my J&M 7.25 for the ROKKER 7.25 and lower fairing J&M ROKKER 7.25 and a alpine PDX F4 amp and alpine head unit,Im hoping it will blow away my old system. I would like to hear how thoes polk mm651 sound.The polk mm651 would be my next choice.
Agree! I just added a used set of the J&M's 7.25 a bought from a member here and they sound great. After reading what keith stated, I guess an amp is the next move.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm suppose to be getting my mm651s tomorrow. I hope they will fit with the Throttleup adapters...

Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
I'm suppose to be getting my mm651s tomorrow. I hope they will fit with the Throttleup adapters...
They will fit. That's what we put in 2swild bike. They just didn't line up 100% perfect to all three speakers holes. (where the speaker itself bolts to the adaptor) One screw had to be started out at a bit of an angle.

The other thing to watch is their screws where the adaptor mounts to the fairing. We had to use the OEM short screws on the bottom. Theirs just wasn't quite long enough.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:35 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wjl24
They will fit. That's what we put in 2swild bike. They just didn't line up 100% perfect to all three speakers holes. (where the speaker itself bolts to the adaptor) One screw had to be started out at a bit of an angle.

The other thing to watch is their screws where the adaptor mounts to the fairing. We had to use the OEM short screws on the bottom. Theirs just wasn't quite long enough.
Thx..

Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 AM
keith2323
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finished my system J&M rokkers in fairing and J&M rokker in the lower fairings). alpine head unit cda-9886m and alpine pdx f4 amp... the pdx f4 amp wasnt cutting it for me..not enough power. caned that and went with the new POLK pa4000.4 amp and DAM what an improvement. (pdx f4 is 100w at 2ohms and 100w at 4ohms...the polk is 200w at 2ohms and 125w at 4ohms...the polk is the same size too and its a power house...The J&M rokkers compared to the reg J&M 7.25 is the rokkers put out way more bass!!! On the other hand the J&M lower fairing speakers flat out SUCK!! cant hear them for SH#T!!! Waste of money.... dont know if im gona sell them or not but im gona for sure add cycle sound 6x9 lids to the system. since the polk amp has so much power , i might just keep the J&M lower fairing speakers to save me the head ake of selling them and taking the lowers apart..but what a let down. But the polk pa d4000.4 is the bomb.im so happy with this amp......plenty of power too go...... But it will only fit in the saddle bags withch im kool with.....SUCH A BAD A## AMP!!!!! POLK U HIT A HOME RUN WITH THIS ONE>>>THANKS........ I would really love to hear how the polk mm6501 sound compared to the J&M rokkers....POLK MAKE'S GOOD STUFF

Last edited by keith2323; 04-18-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

I've got the rockford fosgate power series 6.5's AND the polk mm561's (powered by the RF300PBRx2). Sound quality wise they were very similar- maybe some better imaging with the polks (which I was surprised to notice on the bike). I replaced the RF's with the Polks (for the marine grade certification) but hurt a Polk on my way back from bikeweek (after probably 30 hrs of listening time cranked up on the interstate. One of the woofers started working intermittently.

Now- here's the thing. When I called Crutchfield and told them I was having a problem with one the speakers the guy asked me for my order number and said "no problem- sounds like the voice coil is coming apart. I will send you a new one. When you get it, just send me back your bad one." They even emailed me a pre-paid UPS form to send the failed speaker back no charge. They sent a brand new set of speakers to me so I sent them my original pair back. No muss, no fuss, didn't cost me a dime in shipping. That is amazing. When I used to run the J&M's and would have a failure they would not send a replacement until they recieved the bad one at their dock and then had at least a few days to look at it. I lost a speaker right before a cross-country trip one time and they refused to work with me. I had to put my factory speakers back in because I couldn't get a J&M replacment for a week or two while they diddled around. I got sick of that and stopped buying J&M. I don't know if their customer service still blows but I got my fill of it and won't spend any more of my money there.

I've got the RF's in now....will probably run them a while before putting the polks back in. I'm tempted to put the polks in my truck - I have a full set of polks in there now but its a cheaper series (dB).

Old 04-18-2012, 01:23 PM
keith2323
Advanced

thats good service....i had the same thing happen to me with my old J&M 7.25 went out before the river run and i had to swap out my speaker so i can have some tunes...but at least J&M does replace them...

Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You musta had the Alpine hooked up wrong ! You shoulda bought the PDX 4.150 Alpine.

They run 150 watts per channel, and produce better than the Polk. Or,......you may have gotten a defective one.

Alpine class D amps have always been the measuring stick.

Are the J & M fairing speakers & lower speakers different ???

Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM
keith2323
Advanced

no,both J&M's are rokker's.... I new i should of got the pdx F6 or the pdx 4.150...I new the 100w pdx was going to under power them... I had the alpine pdx amp hooked up right. just under powering the speakers....but im not happy with the sound quality of the j&m rokkers.....not at all!!! Im looking at going to the polk mm series speakers......The polk amp kick's but man....really good amp... and for the record I LOVE ALPINE'S stuff. they are one of the best!!!! the polk amp is a class D amp too. The pdx amp might have a little edge of the polk but you cant go wrong eather way. GLACIERPEARL check out the specs on the polk pa d4000.4 amp and tell me what you think...I love the amp,but i would like to hear your honest opinion what you think about it...

Quick Reply: Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers