Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

FOCALs are the best I have heard SHORT of the J&M ROKKERs ,,,,,

at Daytona Bike Week, we put 4 brand new FOCALs next to 4 J&M 7.25" ROKKERs ((all 4 in upper & lower fairing positions on late model StreetGlides)) ,,,, same J&M 500w amps, same Harley HK radios,,, exact same CD music track used for both bikes ,,,,,,

J&M ROKKERs had noticeably MORE bass response and overall fullness of sound ,,,,

and I have no reason to exaggerate ,, if the FOCALs would have sounded better than the J&M ROKKERs I would just keep my mouth shut ! ,,, LOL ,,,,

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj7C...H-Xntb7TtYA%3D ,,,,,,

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
FOCALs are the best I have heard SHORT of the J&M ROKKERs ,,,,,

at Daytona Bike Week, we put 4 brand new FOCALs next to 4 J&M 7.25" ROKKERs ((all 4 in upper & lower fairing positions on late model StreetGlides)) ,,,, same J&M 500w amps, same Harley HK radios,,, exact same CD music track used for both bikes ,,,,,,

J&M ROKKERs had noticeably MORE bass response and overall fullness of sound ,,,,

and I have no reason to exaggerate ,, if the FOCALs would have sounded better than the J&M ROKKERs I would just keep my mouth shut ! ,,, LOL ,,,,

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj7C...H-Xntb7TtYA%3D ,,,,,,

John, so what model focals did you compare your best speaker to? Was it a 6.5 or a 5.25. I can understand the base response but we all know that's just concerning the parking lot and it never translates to highway speeds.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put the 6.5 Focals up in the fairing. As usual Focals sound damn good

Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best sounding (MUSICAL, not bump / boom) system I have heard to date on a Harley consisted of Focal Polykevlar speakers, 2 6.5" in fairings, 2 6.5" in lowers, two 6x9's in bags all driven off an Arc Audio KS125.4... It sounded great, it had plenty of low end extension for a motorcycle and was very clear at speed. I could turn my system down and listen to his while going down the highway.. I am probably going to do something like that later this year.. Switching out to two sets of Arc Moto series up front and not sure which 6x9's for the bag lids yet.. Already have the KS125.4...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sublime_ac
The best sounding (MUSICAL, not bump / boom) system I have heard to date on a Harley consisted of Focal Polykevlar speakers, 2 6.5" in fairings, 2 6.5" in lowers, two 6x9's in bags all driven off an Arc Audio KS125.4... It sounded great, it had plenty of low end extension for a motorcycle and was very clear at speed. I could turn my system down and listen to his while going down the highway.. I am probably going to do something like that later this year.. Switching out to two sets of Arc Moto series up front and not sure which 6x9's for the bag lids yet.. Already have the KS125.4...
I stopped by Eastside harley in Bellevue (harletstereo.com) last summer. They had pretty close to the same setup. 6.5 Foclas in the fairing and lowers, then they added a jl 6" sub in a saddlebag. Same arc amp pushing the 6.5's and another pushing the sub. It sound bad ***. Of course it was in the parking lot and not moving down the road

Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

This system was packaged / shipped by East Side Harley and it was pretty sweet.. I wish my buddy would have told me he was going to do it cause I could have saved him a couple hundred bucks off what he spent... But whatever, he got it all done in one shot with no hassle and it worked flawlessly and they gave him decent support over the phone to install it.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sublime_ac
This system was packaged / shipped by East Side Harley and it was pretty sweet.. I wish my buddy would have told me he was going to do it cause I could have saved him a couple hundred bucks off what he spent... But whatever, he got it all done in one shot with no hassle and it worked flawlessly and they gave him decent support over the phone to install it.
Yeah it was a hefty penny for it. Otherwsie I would have bought it on the spot. I figured you could piece it yourself and save. But it did sound real nice. They also ended up cutting a hole in the bottom of the saddlebag and turned the bag into a ported enclosure.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Polk MM651s here, along with the Hogtunes tweeter pod and their new 70.2 amplifier. The Polks have a lower impedance than the Focals, which when combined with the tweeter pod give the optimum 2 ohm load to the amp. Combined with the 94db efficiency rating the Polks give more volume per watt compared to higher impedance and/or lower efficiency designs. Unless all you want is a parking lot blaster the name of the game with a bike is how good it sounds at speed, at least it is for me. I went for the most efficient speakers that would give me the most sound possible at 75MPH, very pleased with the results.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM
keith2323
Advanced

That is the name of the game. I like to look at my street glide,but I LOVE to ride it more!!!!! If you cant hear your music on the highway then you are missing out. Focal speakers should sound good,sh#t for that kind of coin they should. What happens when u was your bike??? Are the water prof ?? Like i said before , ive tried lot of speakers and the J&M just do it for me. Water prof and can handle alot of wattage from a amp too. I was running just 2 J&M 7.25 speakers and ARC KS125.2 amp and i was happy.IM 28 years old and like load music. And this is what worked best for me.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 AM
keith2323
Advanced

Now im up grading to the J&M ROKKERS in the fairing and adding J&M ROKKER to the lower fairings with a Alpine pdx f4 amp(100wattsX4) and i changed out my stock HK head unit for a Alpine cda-9886M head unit.When its all dun i will post my apion on my setup ... Im expecting this to be super load on the highway. I listen to mostly rock,metal and some hiphop..

Quick Reply: Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers