Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can hear them, AND feel them !

Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

kind of an interesting comparison also here

Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 PM
glidin
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polk VS Rokker XT no comparison

I just had to share my experience on my great speaker quest. On my 07 SG I started with Hogtunes.....much better than stock. Then went to J&M.......slightly better than the Hogtunes. Then I switched to Rokker XT's in the fairing. Better than the smallish oem size speakers but still lacking.....they should be at 3 times the cost and size alone. You see I have been an audio engineer for 27 years and I wanted something that flat out rocked goig down the highway. I finally installed a Rockford 300x2 amp. Now were talking.......much much louder and cleaner but still lacking. I never was impressed by the "chinese" feel and build of these j&M's. Not publishing specs is a big no no and should have been my first indication. Great marketing led me to the J&M's though. It was louder but something was definitely lacking. The bass was distorted at mid volume and up and the high end crapped out early too. I say bass but there was hardly any low end from the Rokkers. The mids and tweet outruns the woofer for sure. I couldn't trun them up for the bass distortion. There was no warmth in the mid section. They are harsh. I'm used to big 50,000 watt line array systems that will blow your hair at 250ft. I chalked it up that I might never find what I was looking for in such a small speaker in the batwing fairing. After many reviews i finally switched to the Polk MM651's. Wow! Thats all I can say. Finally a speaker that sounds like a speaker is supposed to. Its all there.....low end, mid clarity and nice sizzling high end. 7.25 vs. 6.5 big deal. Sounds good on paper but doesn't work in real world. I think I paid $160 bucks with them and Dragonfly adapters. Much cheaper than J&M. No comparison whatsoever in sound quality. The Polks excel in every category. Even going down the highway they are full and beautiful. I am quite amazed. I have finally found a speaker that is pleasureable to listen to blasting down the road. They sound good with all genres of music. The stereo separation is much better also. I should have went with these all along. The bass is tight and the Polks are loud and clean. I wish I had took Smaart traces to show comparison but I didn't. So in my book the Polks are winners hands down in every category compared to the Rokker Xt's.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by glidin
I just had to share my experience on my great speaker quest. On my 07 SG I started with Hogtunes.....much better than stock. Then went to J&M.......slightly better than the Hogtunes. Then I switched to Rokker XT's in the fairing. Better than the smallish oem size speakers but still lacking.....they should be at 3 times the cost and size alone. You see I have been an audio engineer for 27 years and I wanted something that flat out rocked goig down the highway. I finally installed a Rockford 300x2 amp. Now were talking.......much much louder and cleaner but still lacking. I never was impressed by the "chinese" feel and build of these j&M's. Not publishing specs is a big no no and should have been my first indication. Great marketing led me to the J&M's though. It was louder but something was definitely lacking. The bass was distorted at mid volume and up and the high end crapped out early too. I say bass but there was hardly any low end from the Rokkers. The mids and tweet outruns the woofer for sure. I couldn't trun them up for the bass distortion. There was no warmth in the mid section. They are harsh. I'm used to big 50,000 watt line array systems that will blow your hair at 250ft. I chalked it up that I might never find what I was looking for in such a small speaker in the batwing fairing. After many reviews i finally switched to the Polk MM651's. Wow! Thats all I can say. Finally a speaker that sounds like a speaker is supposed to. Its all there.....low end, mid clarity and nice sizzling high end. 7.25 vs. 6.5 big deal. Sounds good on paper but doesn't work in real world. I think I paid $160 bucks with them and Dragonfly adapters. Much cheaper than J&M. No comparison whatsoever in sound quality. The Polks excel in every category. Even going down the highway they are full and beautiful. I am quite amazed. I have finally found a speaker that is pleasureable to listen to blasting down the road. They sound good with all genres of music. The stereo separation is much better also. I should have went with these all along. The bass is tight and the Polks are loud and clean. I wish I had took Smaart traces to show comparison but I didn't. So in my book the Polks are winners hands down in every category compared to the Rokker Xt's.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Hog happy
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this is an old thread but it's a perfect spot to see if I can get an answer to a question I have. I am installing a Kenwood Exelon head unit and an Arc 125.2 mini. I currently have J&M standard 7.25 speakers with the HK head unit and no amp. How well will the standard 7.25 speakers perform with the new set up? Can you compare them with the Rokkers?

Thanks, Randy

Originally Posted by keith2323
Now im up grading to the J&M ROKKERS in the fairing and adding J&M ROKKER to the lower fairings with a Alpine pdx f4 amp(100wattsX4) and i changed out my stock HK head unit for a Alpine cda-9886M head unit.When its all dun i will post my apion on my setup ... Im expecting this to be super load on the highway. I listen to mostly rock,metal and some hiphop..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

IIRC, the standard J&M 7.25" are rated for only about 60w or so of power. You'll be fine for a while but I venture to say you'll eventually wind up toasting them with that amp.

The rokkers will definitely handle more power.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 531 Likes on 380 Posts

for me anyway, when switching from J&M std to Rokkers, Rokkers sounded much better than the standard speakers...I believe they are up to next iteration of Rokkers, Rokker Xtremes...

Old 01-11-2014, 02:48 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to change up the wife's SG speakers. Currently have the RF Amp and want to go Polk MM651. Looked at using the Dragonfly Adaptors, but according to a seller on EB Polk won't fit with the Dragonfly. True? What adaptors should I use?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:06 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have that exact same setup I'm running the RF amp with Polk 651s and I used the Dragonfly adapter rings they fit just fine

Old 01-11-2014, 05:09 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
I have that exact same setup I'm running the RF amp with Polk 651s and I used the Dragonfly adapter rings they fit just fine
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll order them since they seem to have the best design/build quality.

Quick Reply: Polk MM651 vs J&M vs Rokker vs Other "High End" Speakers